TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Door window channel adhesive

Default Door window channel adhesive

What is recommended for adhesive to install new door window glass channels/felt back into the door glass surrounds?
    The old ones were held in by clips but they are unavailable now. This is for a 53 Hudson I am working on.

I would wonder about using 3M weatherstrip adhesive? Locally they call it elephant snot. It's a yellow super goey adhesive.
    Avid collector of rust!

I would check a few restoration reproduction places who repos trim clips and fastners. I think one is Restoration Specialties in Winbar Pa. Maybe something close that you can work with. I made a lot of clips for my 58 Oldsmobile.

Default Not fond...

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    I would wonder about using 3M weatherstrip adhesive? Locally they call it elephant snot. It's a yellow super goey adhesive.
    I'm not fond of that 3M adhesive which is for reattaching emblems also. It bites too hard into the paint.

If an adhesive would hold it (we can't see the shape) then I would opt for Urethane Window Sealer.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by studebaker View Post
    What is recommended for adhesive to install new door window glass channels/felt back into the door glass surrounds?
    The old ones were held in by clips but they are unavailable now. This is for a 53 Hudson I am working on.
    I have to tell you, I don't like the sound of using an adhesive at all on that. Those need to be held in with screws, that is what I have always done. A very small flat head screw right in the middle bottom of the channel, it's always worked for me. You put the screw down tight and it's below the felt and doesn't scratch the window or frame (if it had a frame around it.)

Same for side belt seals, small flat head screws work fine.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

I have used black Velcro(self adhesive) on two different Restorations.Worked out great.