Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Firebird

Default 1973 Firebird

Been working on this for the past month on and off. Paint was bubbling on top, hood and deck lid. I started stripping the top and found rust. I stripped partially down the quarters until the rust stopped. I sanded it down and blasted the top. The whole car has a layer of filler on it. We replaced the hood and didn't strip the trunk. There were also rust spots on the lower quarters that they chose not to replace the metal. The driver side was full of filler. Once again they didn't want to pay to replace it so I blasted, applied panel bond, fiberglass filler, regular filler and glaze. I had them sign a waiver that the paint job has no warranty and they understand that. Still trying to figure out what to do with the front bumper. The paint was cracked in the middle so I stripped those areas and blocked them out flat with the house of kolor primer/sealer. When I got in the booth yesterday morning the primer had cracked so I didn't really paint it until I can figure out what to do with it.

Original:

Initial sanding of hood for primer

After initial blocking

After final wet sand

The vent holes had a lot of imperfections in them. The inner side was 1/4" higher in the back so I had to file it down, filler on the inside and smooth it out. This was the beginning process.

Once again the didn't want to pay to have it fixed properly so bascially I was just straightening it back out.

In the booth. Don't laugh at some of the taping on the front. I was grateful to have my wife helping me mask or I wouldn't have gotten it done in time

The owner was here for the stripe taping. They chose where it went. All I did was lay the stripes down where they asked. This was my first time doing these. Wasn't terrible but not the easiest thing to do either.

Default Glutton...

You are a "Glutton For Punishment.

That's a ton of work and too bad about the rot in the lower quarter. They really should have went the extra and had that repaired correctly.

Anyway, another of your many nice jobs. Where did the paint room come from?

I hope you got paid for all you did.

Good job.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You are a "Glutton For Punishment.

That's a ton of work and too bad about the rot in the lower quarter. They really should have went the extra and had that repaired correctly.

Anyway, another of your many nice jobs. Where did the paint room come from?

I hope you got paid for all you did.

Good job.

Henry
    This is the new booth on base they built last year. It's my first time using it. I wish they had done the floor too but oh well.

The hood latch is broke so they are having to replace it once they get it back but here are some finished shots.

Default Again...

Have to say it again.......

Your work is just amazing OR it's your fantastic ability to capture some great pictures.

You ever consider professional photography?

That paint looks GREAT. Nice job!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Have to say it again.......

Your work is just amazing OR it's your fantastic ability to capture some great pictures.

You ever consider professional photography?

That paint looks GREAT. Nice job!

Henry
    Thanks I appreciate it. I had to sand and buff this one because of the stripes so the hood, top and trunk got sanded and buffed. I just denibbed the rest of the car. It still has a little peel to it but we weren't going for a show car finish plus I wasn't getting paid to do the whole car. This was one of those that after I got into it I questioned why I even took the job. This one has pretty much ended my over all paint jobs for a while. Until I get that truck for that friend anyway. It takes up too much of my time and I never seem to charge enough for the time I put into it. I can make a lot more doing overtime at work and do nothing but watch tv lol.

As for photography no...never really thought about it. I know a guy who does it that has THOUSANDS in equipment. Just not my thing though. I have enough hobbies as it is! I just use my cell phone and basic windows editing software to adjust lighting. Unless you get a high dollar camera it won't see what your eyes see. Mainly all I do is bring up the shadow lighting if it is too dark and remove the (Sun & sky) if it is too bright.