TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Anyone build a dust room?

Default Anyone build a dust room?

I'm planning to build a new shop that will be 48'x72'. the back 30 feet will have a 16' wide paint booth on one side and next to it I want to put a large dust room/ work room with two larger garage doors. I want to keep the front section of the shop as clean as possible, so the dust room would be to do all the sanding, grinding and mud flinging. I am looking into how to set up a large dust and dirt collection system in the dust room. Just seeing if anyone has ever done this. I'm sure I can figure it out myself, but I think it's a good Idea to see if there are other people who have done this.

Thanks for the input!

I never built a "dust room", but if you get a big fan and bring air in through the clean room and out through the dust room, it'll work fine. That's what they do for asbestos removal... It's called "positive pressure"..

I would like a way to also catch the dust and dirt. Maybe a vacuum system of some type?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I would like a way to also catch the dust and dirt. Maybe a vacuum system of some type?
    This is a long story, but I'll try to keep it concise...

We made this paint booth out of $90 worth of plastic, a bunch of tie wire, and 20-30 pony clamps.

The star of the show was that big ass fan (on the right) ... it was salvaged from a refrigeration unit.. That fan was strong enough to inflate the the whole thing like a balloon, and the exhaust was filtered through standard AC filters from Home depot..

The pic doesn't show it, but we had a filter in front of the fan too - by the time the Blazer went in for paint...

The idea is, no dust can come in because of the "positive pressure". If anything, the dust would be be on it's way out.

I'm a carpenter by trade, and I've seen crews use this same theory for asbestos removal. No dust escapes..