TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Proper way to dispose of an intact vehicle airbag?

Default Proper way to dispose of an intact vehicle airbag?

Our local YMCA Service Club recently held our White Elephant fundraising sale to benefit the local YMCA youth camp. We ended up with an intact safety airbag in one of our donation boxes. Is there a special method of disposal? Our main concern is possibility that impact would set it off and endanger the folks who empty and dispose of our dumpster contents. Thanks for any knowledge that you can share.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KVP View Post
    Our local YMCA Service Club recently held our White Elephant fundraising sale to benefit the local YMCA youth camp. We ended up with an intact safety airbag in one of our donation boxes. Is there a special method of disposal? Our main concern is possibility that impact would set it off and endanger the folks who empty and dispose of our dumpster contents. Thanks for any knowledge that you can share.

Keith
    It's not going to blow unless it's hooked to 12 volts. Banging it throwing it, hitting it with hammer...maybe..but other than that it isn't going to go off without 12 volts hooked to it. I have blown a few in the back yard myself, the kids love it.

If I wanted to do it right, I would call my city garbage company and ask them. In my case I would be bringing down to the drop off spot for hazardous material. We have one here in town where they take anything, no questions asked.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

we have heard of people hurt and killed by air bags going off. i wonder just how many have been saved by air bags compared to people harmed by them. i feel that a well padded dash would be safer and cheaper. but what do i know i am just a dumb hillbilly from tennessee.

Default But...

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    It's not going to blow unless it's hooked to 12 volts. Banging it throwing it, hitting it with hammer...maybe..but other than that it isn't going to go off without 12 volts hooked to it. I have blown a few in the back yard myself, the kids love it.

If I wanted to do it right, I would call my city garbage company and ask them. In my case I would be bringing down to the drop off spot for hazardous material. We have one here in town where they take anything, no questions asked.

Brian
    While we've near all set off a bag, I have yet to hear of shrapnel flying out of one. Have you?

Let's see, how do you spell TAKATA?

NHTSA should shut down further production of new cars until TAKATA supplies all the bags needed to fix what they've put on the road.

35 million airbags in cars being driven on our streets? Wait till Donald hears this shit.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
    Thanks for the input, Brian. We do have a hazardous waste disposal program here as well. When a fellow service club member asked me, that was my response as well. I decided to post here because of all the body shop experience on this board. I thought someone might have run into this situation and possibly had a different take on a solution.