TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to repair this bumper cover?

Default What is the best way to repair this bumper cover?

It's on a 2005 Nissan Altima, I would rather repair it then replace, would be a good lesson for me.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do repairs too but that bumper cover is in my CertiFit catalog and judging from past experience the bumper cover will cost about the same as the cost of the 2 part repair material and you don't have to mess around with it. Most of the bumper covers they sell are primed so it's just scuff and shoot. They drop them off at the store where I buy my paint at little or no cost if I can wait a few days until the truck is scheduled for a delivery.

If it was a Porsche or something like that where the bumper cover is more than $800 then repair away but when it is available I don't like playing around any more. I will sometimes drive the 150 miles to the store if I have another reason to go into town and I only do that when I'm driving alone. A bumper cover takes up the passenger side of a car.

Bob K

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. If I'm working on an expensive cover I go out in my back yard where I have 2 or 3 damaged covers sitting waiting to donate. I'll cut a patch out that will fit for a spot that has nearly the same curve. I grind the edges thinner by about half then hold the patch in with fiberglass tap from Home Depot sheetrock department. Mix up some 2 part repair material from 3M and when it sets up I shape it like I do with filler. When it is shaped I finish off the repair with PolyFlex and then paint as usual. I also build up the inside after I have the front done. Same way, fiberglass tape then 2 part repair material. I just get the kind that comes in 2 tooth past tubes then I don't loose the amount that is still in the mixing tube when using the 2 tube gun applied material.

Bob K

Depending on the type of material used you may need to purchase a large tube for that repair and a dispenser gun to get the material out of the tube so the cost of materials may cost as much as a new aftermarket bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Sorry, I didn't answer your question. If I'm working on an expensive cover I go out in my back yard where I have 2 or 3 damaged covers sitting waiting to donate. I'll cut a patch out that will fit for a spot that has nearly the same curve. I grind the edges thinner by about half then hold the patch in with fiberglass tap from Home Depot sheetrock department. Mix up some 2 part repair material from 3M and when it sets up I shape it like I do with filler. When it is shaped I finish off the repair with PolyFlex and then paint as usual. I also build up the inside after I have the front done. Same way, fiberglass tape then 2 part repair material. I just get the kind that comes in 2 tooth past tubes then I don't loose the amount that is still in the mixing tube when using the 2 tube gun applied material.

Bob K
    Bob K, just to clarify, you apply the the fiberglass tape over the damaged area, then apply the epoxy over the tape, then filler, ect?

Thanks.

Yes, I cut a bit of a low spot for the tape to go into with a 36 grit Roloc disc so I don't sand the fiber glass when I level the repair. Some plastic needs to be flamed before you put repair material on. Don't melt it, just bring a gas flame across the sanded surface like you might do to singe the hairs off your arm with out burning your arm. I can't remember what type of plastic needs to be flamed but if the area is all fuzzed up from the disc the flame removes the fuzz. Other wise the fuzz can be like dust on a filler application and become a release agent and let the patch bond fail. The directions in the technical data sheet should give you all the details.

Bob K

First of all that bumper cover is way beyond repair. I wouldn't be worth repairing it even if you had the missing parts.

I usually agree with Bob K but I think he is off on this one. IF you were going to repair it (I highly recommend not repairing it) then you would start the repair by removing he bumper, scuff up the damaged area on the backside of the bumper. Cut a patch from an old bumper to fill in the large hole of the missing plastic. Use maksing tape on the frontside of the bumper to temporarily hold everything in place. Apply a layer of two part plastic bumper repair suitable for that type of plastic then a layer of mesh followed by another layer of two part plastic bumper repair material on the INSIDE of the bumper. After that fully cures then you start on the outside of the bumper. Chamfer all the cracks so that you have a "V" groove in all the cracks then sand the whole repair area with nothing finer than 220 (preferably 160 or 180 grit). Then mix up some more bumper plastic repair and fill in all the "V" grooves and small voids. Next some flexible filler to finish off the outside damage. When it looks like a bumper again you prime, block sand, prime and paint.

But, again, that bumper is wasted and needs to be replaced. Two part plastic repair kits are NOT cheap and like previously stated the repair materials could easily exceed the cost of a new aftermarket bumper cover. (and LOT less aggravation to replace the bumper cover.) The gun alone for the two part plastic bumper repair kits cost $80 to $100. Buying tooth paste type tubes repair kit is not the way to go.

Default Bob K & Phil V...

Biggest problem here is as soon as you remove that bumper cover, it will flex outward or inward. This will distort where the repair HAS to be.

I have to agree with what Phil said; on the repair and comments about Bob K whom I normally always agree.

Have I done a repair such as this? Yes. Did it last? Yes about 2 years. Should I have done it? Not really.

Chase a cover in the junk yard or go aftermarket. LKQ, around here, even has a line of regular parts, CAPA and "economy".

You'll chase your tail on that cover even though your desire to repair it has merit.

Henry

Update, I ended up finding a used bumper at the Pick and Pull for less then $30.00, same color, but with a scuff mark on the driver's side, damn-it. Oh well, might try to repair it, not sure yet, putting a head gasket and a timing chain it the car now. Well update later.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Update, I ended up finding a used bumper at the Pick and Pull for less then $30.00, same color, but with a scuff mark on the driver's side, damn-it. Oh well, might try to repair it, not sure yet, putting a head gasket and a timing chain it the car now. Well update later.

Thanks.
    a 2005 Altima bumper cover brand new aftermarket cost $36 why would you go through all the trouble to try and get a used one or fix that old thing unless you're just bored and have nothing else to do

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    a 2005 Altima bumper cover brand new aftermarket cost $36 why would you go through all the trouble to try and get a used one or fix that old thing unless you're just bored and have nothing else to do
    Who sells that bumper for $36? I pay between $130 and $200 for most aftermarket covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Who sells that bumper for $36? I pay between $130 and $200 for most aftermarket covers.
    Certifit I got one a couple months ago..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Certifit I got one a couple months ago..
    Ok, I just checked and, you're right, I found bumpers from $35 to $250 for a 2012 Honda Civic. I'll give them a try.

They are 3.5 hours away from me, damn it. Thanks for the info!

SStampede.

Default Network...

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    They are 3.5 hours away from me, damn it. Thanks for the info!

SStampede.
    Hello buddy. I remember a long time ago, I suggested to you to 'schmooze' with a couple local bodyshops. Not sure if you made any progress or contacts.

Not sure if this bumper place delivers but bet they do. Not to you but to a business they deal with.

If you know a shop near you, ask if they deal with these people and order through them.

Capece?

Henry