TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Not a good sign...

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    16,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Jim, when you change the oil how long does it take for it to get milky again ?
    I don't know Phil... it's been a while since I changed the oil..

    The foam is only on the cap. The dipstick looks ok (but the oil is really dark).

    It's down one quart right now, so I'm thinking about putting some Seafoam or Lucas in there, and driving it a little before dropping the oil.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    277

    Default

    that's just condensation jim, you're not driving far enough to dry out the motor. as high as the humidity is where you're at i'm surprised you haven't seen it before. as long as the oil in the pan is good, you're ok.
    b marler

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Gresham, OR
    Posts
    249

    Default

    On the other hand, where he is, it shouldn't get cool enough to condense out of the air into water very often.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    16,733

    Default

    Thanks again you guys. I'm gonna try changing the oil this weekend and then see how fast it comes back. It might be a waste of oil, but I guess it needs to be flushed out anyway.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    16,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    On the other hand, where he is, it shouldn't get cool enough to condense out of the air into water very often.
    That's an interesting point Craig. I'm trying to add it up, but I'm not sure how to do it.

    The humidity around here is usually between 60-75%, and sometimes higher. But it's very rare for the humidity to drop below 50%. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing humidity below 50% out here.

    The temp at night often gets into the sixties. Sometimes there will be some dew in the morning, not as much as I remember from NJ though.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    16,733

    Default

    I thought it might be game over for the old Ford today, but I was wrong again...

    After sitting in some stop and go traffic for about 10 minutes on the highway, I could smell coolant, but the temp gage was looking ok....

    When the highway opened up, I was in the left lane next to the divider, and I heard a wicked rattling sound at mid throttle. When I hit the gas, or let off the gas, the sound went away. But at "cruise" it was very bad!

    (The sound turned out to be pinging, but I never heard pinging that sounded quite like that, and it went away when I stepped on the gas, so I ruled out overheating at first)

    So I pulled off on the side, and the smoke was pouring out. I checked under the hood, and there was some water splattered around... Coolant was low, but the oil looked ok...

    As I was pulling up to a safe spot to stop, I noticed the oil pressure gage was jumping around. When I tapped the gas to idle forward, the oil pressure gage dropped pretty low, but then it bounced right back up when I let off the gas...

    The temp gage was a little high, but still near the middle of the "good" zone... so I figured it wasn't just overheating.

    At this point, I thought it was over... Gonna need a new top end...

    As I was on the phone, figuring out what I'm gonna do, the "Freeway Service Patrol" (tow truck) pulled up behind me.. what a great service that is! They'll give you a free tow to the nearest safe place, just to get you off the highway ... I see these guys all the time, but I never knew exactly how it worked... I'm told they'll even give you a free gallon of gas if you run out of gas too...

    But anyways, he towed me to a local park and dropped me off at a shady spot under a big overpass.

    After getting a better look at everything, now that the engine was cool, I found that the bottom coolant hose sprung a leak where it comes off the water pump. So I cut the end off it and hooked it back up. The old F-150 is back in the game! But for how long, remains to be seen...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,557

    Default Nothing!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    I thought it might be game over for the old Ford today, but I was wrong again...

    After sitting in some stop and go traffic for about 10 minutes on the highway, I could smell coolant, but the temp gage was looking ok....

    When the highway opened up, I was in the left lane next to the divider, and I heard a wicked rattling sound at mid throttle. When I hit the gas, or let off the gas, the sound went away. But at "cruise" it was very bad!

    (The sound turned out to be pinging, but I never heard pinging that sounded quite like that, and it went away when I stepped on the gas, so I ruled out overheating at first)

    So I pulled off on the side, and the smoke was pouring out. I checked under the hood, and there was some water splattered around... Coolant was low, but the oil looked ok...

    As I was pulling up to a safe spot to stop, I noticed the oil pressure gage was jumping around. When I tapped the gas to idle forward, the oil pressure gage dropped pretty low, but then it bounced right back up when I let off the gas...

    The temp gage was a little high, but still near the middle of the "good" zone... so I figured it wasn't just overheating.

    At this point, I thought it was over... Gonna need a new top end...

    As I was on the phone, figuring out what I'm gonna do, the "Freeway Service Patrol" (tow truck) pulled up behind me.. what a great service that is! They'll give you a free tow to the nearest safe place, just to get you off the highway ... I see these guys all the time, but I never knew exactly how it worked... I'm told they'll even give you a free gallon of gas if you run out of gas too...

    But anyways, he towed me to a local park and dropped me off at a shady spot under a big overpass.

    After getting a better look at everything, now that the engine was cool, I found that the bottom coolant hose sprung a leak where it comes off the water pump. So I cut the end off it and hooked it back up. The old F-150 is back in the game! But for how long, remains to be seen...
    Said it before and here goes again. That truck owes you absolutely NOTHING!. Couple things:

    You said: "I'm told they'll even give you a free gallon of gas if you run out of gas too... In Europe on the Autobahn (Hi-way) you have broken the law if you run out of gas. Common to carry a container with gas in it with you and a tow rope to help your fellow motorist get away from the 'fast' moving traffic. It's the Don't be Stupid law as only a fool would drive without enough gas.

    At first reading your post I thought water pump and the sound you heard was the fan slopping around. Victim of a worn bearing in the pump. The fan could halt noise at certain rpm's and yes, some coolant would leak from the weep hole in the bottom of the pump.

    Big red Christmas bow for that truck! Happy motoring and keep it that way. And you know that actually was a maintenance item.

    Henry

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    16,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Said it before and here goes again. That truck owes you absolutely NOTHING!. Couple things:

    You said: "I'm told they'll even give you a free gallon of gas if you run out of gas too... In Europe on the Autobahn (Hi-way) you have broken the law if you run out of gas. Common to carry a container with gas in it with you and a tow rope to help your fellow motorist get away from the 'fast' moving traffic. It's the Don't be Stupid law as only a fool would drive without enough gas.

    At first reading your post I thought water pump and the sound you heard was the fan slopping around. Victim of a worn bearing in the pump. The fan could halt noise at certain rpm's and yes, some coolant would leak from the weep hole in the bottom of the pump.

    Big red Christmas bow for that truck! Happy motoring and keep it that way. And you know that actually was a maintenance item.

    Henry
    And you know that actually was a maintenance item.
    Yeah, I know Henry... but you know I don't maintain my truck as good as some people..
    That's how I know that "Built Ford Tough" is a true slogan!

    Chevys might be faster, but Fords can take some abuse!

    You said: "I'm told they'll even give you a free gallon of gas if you run out of gas too... In Europe on the Autobahn (Hi-way) you have broken the law if you run out of gas. Common to carry a container with gas in it with you and a tow rope to help your fellow motorist get away from the 'fast' moving traffic. It's the Don't be Stupid law as only a fool would drive without enough gas.
    As for that one, I have a split opinion... I've run out of gas with almost every vehicle I ever owned, including this one (once, but I was able to coast it up to the pumps)... But the only time I ever ran out of gas on a highway was with the CB1000. I didn't realise that I was already on reserve, and when I went to switch it to reserve, she stalled out right there in the middle lane, going uphill, with medium traffic... I managed to coast it to the shoulder, but I had to make a crazy "dive bomber" move in front of an asshole who was trying to speed up when he saw my blinker.

    Fukn asshole!!! ..I had to drop in front of him like it was the entrance to the first turn of a MX race! I was down to about 35 at that point, and losing speed fast. Everyone else was going 60... That was definitely the scariest thing I ever did on a bike! But I had no choice..

    Come to think of it, I ran the old Monte Carlo out of gas on the highway once too, but I managed to coast it onto an off-ramp. In that story, I knew I didn't have enough gas to get home, but I was broke... But I got a lot closer than I thought I would by slipstreaming an 18 wheeler. In the end, it was only about an hour delay..

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    16,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Just as a general guess I'd say it was a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head. Either way the intake manifold is going to have to come off to get at the heads. What do the spark plugs look like ? Did you have any problems with the temperature gauge (assuming it has a gauge and not just an idiot light) go up way past normal and back and forth between normal and way warmer than normal ? If the temp gauge spikes upwards (not all the time) then it's a sign of a bad head gasket or cracked head at it's early stages. could very well be an intake gasket too.

    If one of the spark plugs is a lighter brown (sometimes almost white) then I would do a leak down test on that cylinder. Is there any oil in the antifreeze?
    Belated thanks Phil

    Back when this thread was new, and your comment was new, I had never seen the temp gage act strange like that..

    A few weeks ago, it did what you described...

    I was in stop and go "city traffic", waiting on a bunch of red lights, and she got a little hot.

    When I got onto the highway, she cooled back down.. But then, when I had to get on the gas kinda hard, while going up a hill (to get around a slowpoke), the temp gage spiked up for a moment. If I wasn't already keeping a close eye on the temp gage, I might never have noticed..

    The temp gage went right back to normal after that, but when I got home I added 3 litres of water to get the coolant level back to normal.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    109

    Default Frothy Oil

    For what it's worth I've been driving my Subaru with a blown head gasket for 3 years. Some Subaru's are well documented with Head Gasket failure which Subaru corporate did a big song and dance on. Leaks oil and looses a little coolant. But the car is a beater and I just check oil and antifreeze regularly to keep it rolling. I do smell coolant once in a while and always usually have oil smoking on the block. Now the rusted subframes... that's another story..

    dlm ny country

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •