TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Camper repair

Default Camper repair

Ok fiberglass guys how would you tackle this. image.jpg

I helped a friend on one of these a few years ago that a tree had fallen on. It collapsed the rear most wall and part of the roof. He was able to buy 1/8" fiberglass sheet...I think at an RV dealership...but it could have been at Lowes, etc...We put it in as a section and ran a strip to cover the seams but you could attach it with construction adhesive (or even a product designed for attaching fiberglass panels on Corvettes). We used some sort of contact cement if I remember correctly. If you don't like the idea of a strip over the seams, sand and finish them like you would a car body.

SamG

Did air get under it and tear it off or ?

Yea he let water get in and freeze. Then towing it wind got it. Thought about using resin or epoxie to glue in a backing strip like for welding then glue the patch to it then finish the seam with fiberglass gel.

it seems like a backing strip would be a good idea. I don't know if the replacement panel is thick enough to not let the glued strip read through or not. I would back it and panel bond to the backing then finish the seam as you say.

Will fiberglass resin work or should I use something else.

not sure since I haven't actually repaired one like that. I would think that if it's truly a polyester fiberglass panel, polyester resin, or even a fiberglass filler would work..

I would purchase a sheet of fiberglass large enough to make make the repair then cut the existing glass in a straight line and glue in a backing strip, cut the new glass to the proper size and glue it in place. You may need to remove the molding at the edge and screw or glue the new glass on the corners.

if your gonna use polyester resin to glue the patch down you can brush straight resin onto the wood and try to get it to soak in a bit. (make sure the wood is dry) then when your ready to apply the patch the resin/hardener mix will migrate to the resin infused wood and give you a better bond. i haven't used that method using a hardened sheet for a patch but it works great for cloth/mat repair. if your using plain fiberglass sheet it should work well though.
    thats what i do on boats anyway...
    b marler