TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Shrinking Metal

Default Shrinking Metal

I need so help. I had the hood on my 1970 Buick media blasted. They used sand instead of soda and warped it. The hood now has 3/16 inch depressions in it. What is the best way to remove the deflection? A shrinking disc or a Lenco dent pullers with a shrinking tip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim Lumb

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniGSX View Post
    I need so help. I had the hood on my 1970 Buick media blasted. They used sand instead of soda and warped it. The hood now has 3/16 inch depressions in it. What is the best way to remove the deflection? A shrinking disc or a Lenco dent pullers with a shrinking tip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim Lumb
    Hi Jim, Welcome aboard.
    The best method depends on how bad the damage is. I'm not a shrinking disk user because it hasn't worked well for me. I've had pretty good success using a shrink tip on my Unispotter but you're going to need a layer of filler to make it an acceptable repair. It may pay to look around for a hood at a junk yard, it would save you a lot of labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Hi Jim, Welcome aboard.
    The best method depends on how bad the damage is. I'm not a shrinking disk user because it hasn't worked well for me. I've had pretty good success using a shrink tip on my Unispotter but you're going to need a layer of filler to make it an acceptable repair. It may pay to look around for a hood at a junk yard, it would save you a lot of labor.
    I agree with Len. If it were me I would be hunting for a new/used rust free hood. The odds are the whole warped hood will need a minimum of a "butter coat" of filler over the entire hood.

Len,

Thanks for the fast response. I have purchased another hood that will work, but I would like to salvage the original hood if possible. I have a pretty rare car, a 1970 Buick GSX, I would like to keep the original hood if at all possible. The bad news is I am not a bodyman or even close. So I will have to hire all the work done.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniGSX View Post
    Len,

Thanks for the fast response. I have purchased another hood that will work, but I would like to salvage the original hood if possible. I have a pretty rare car, a 1970 Buick GSX, I would like to keep the original hood if at all possible. The bad news is I am not a bodyman or even close. So I will have to hire all the work done.

Jim
    Depending on how severe the warping is it could cost over $1000 to make it right.

i can't believe how much autobody repairs cost these days. almost makes a fellow think about coming out of retirement. i started into body work in 1957 after high school. the town i lived in flat rate was $4.00 per hour. an enamel paint job was $65.00 in nashville you could get any car painted any color for $39.95

Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    i can't believe how much autobody repairs cost these days. almost makes a fellow think about coming out of retirement. i started into body work in 1957 after high school. the town i lived in flat rate was $4.00 per hour. an enamel paint job was $65.00 in nashville you could get any car painted any color for $39.95
    Yes, those were the good old days. To purchase "good" paint these days you can pay $200 a quart just for the color and that doesn't include primer or clear coat. There are still places that do quick and cheap paint jobs but the surface prep, the masking and the paint products are usually less than desirable for people that want a good job that will last.

I can't believe how many times I have seen panels ruined by a moron with a sand blaster. holy crap. I am a Buick guy, I have a 65 Gran Sport, to think of that GSX hood being ruined by that guy I want to go punch him in the face!

Yep, I have had to fix a thing or too ruined like that and it's not worth it unfortunately. You could bring it to someone who really knows what they are doing and they may be able to save it without spending a million bucks.

Brian

Touched by an Angel.

Thanks to all who replied to my plea for information. I do have a another hood but it lacks the hole for the tachometer. Not a big obstacle but an obstacle. I still want to try and revive the original hood so I'll be looking for a person with experience shrinking metal in the central Illinois area. Brian, nice looking GS.

Thanks Jim