TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What type of sheet metal for patch panels?

Default What type of sheet metal for patch panels?

Hi all,

What type of metal can I use for making patch panels on floors and quarters and fenders? I'll most likely be using a metal-to-metal adhesive and glueing these panels in. I know some of the home centers sell various type of sheet metal - zinc, galvenized, aluminum and steel - just wondering if any particular type has any advantages over the other.....

Thanks in advance!

I use steel, 20 guage. I buy it by 3x10 sheets....good for making door bottoms etc.

--
    Gordon

***Shareware Estimating Program***

I usually purchase 4 X 8 sheets of 18 or 20 ga. from my welding supply and bring them back to the shop. I usually clean, prime and cut them into 2 X 4 sheets so they are easier to store and handle.

Ordinary filing cabinets work pretty good too.

For older cars:

If you are going to have to do a lot of metal shaping, like putting in beads. Then you will want 20 guage cold rolled sheet metal. The 18 guage metal is sometime needed for structural.

I buy 4x8 sheets cause they are cheap and for me they last a long time.

Before I found a local place to buy new sheets I used metal from appliances. The cowl vents on my 66 mustang fastback are made up from the side panels of a microwave that was in the trash the day I needed some metal. Washer and dryers, hoods and roofs (of older cars) work well too.

The problem with used metal is it can be harder to work depending on the type of steel and how much it has been formed. A sawsall or jig saw with very fine teeth is a cheap easy way to cut it down.

Default In NJ we are Junkyard rich...

and thru the years I've found some plum yards. I've saved a lot of time using a Battery Powered SAWZALL cutting the very shapes I need off of identical cars--

dave_demented Guest

ah the wonder of sawzalls..... just about every patch panel i have ever made came from some junk car with a sawzall and/or a cutting grinder

Default Gluing Galvanized metal

Hey. That's a thought.
    How about using galvanized metal for the patch?
    He could leave the Galvanizing on the inside for extra rust prevention.
    The Galvanizing on the outer side should be sanded off for better adhesion of the epoxy/primer that should be applied.
    Since he said he will be gluing it, Stanger, what do you think?
    Last edited by CoolasIce; 08-29-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Welding galvanized is the pits. The welds look terrible but the fumes make you feel even worse. I don't recommend it. I also suspect there would be adhesion problems later on as I doubt you could manage to work all of the galvanization off.
    Grant