TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Old wooden sailboat

Default Old wooden sailboat

Hi guys,

My son in law bought an old wooden sailboat. It looks like it is made of plywood/wood. He wants me to paint it a royal blue and white for him. The wood is in very nice condition. It would be very convenient and cheap if I could spray a Nason two part urethane on it, since I already have a gallon of it left over from another project. If I spray an epoxy primer over the original finish, could I then use the Nason paint? I appreciate any time and effort.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ytr1903 View Post
    Hi guys,

My son in law bought an old wooden sailboat. It looks like it is made of plywood/wood. He wants me to paint it a royal blue and white for him. The wood is in very nice condition. It would be very convenient and cheap if I could spray a Nason two part urethane on it, since I already have a gallon of it left over from another project. If I spray an epoxy primer over the original finish, could I then use the Nason paint? I appreciate any time and effort.

Tom
    The boat was probably painted with either an enamel or water based paint and if that's the case then yes you can prep and clean the surface and apply epoxy primer and Nason. However, I'm not a Nason user so I don't know all the variables and I don't know how well it or your primer will hold up underwater.

Thanks Len,

Since you aren't that familiar with Nason, do you have a recommendation of products that you would use? I am not married to Nason. By the way, I would be using the PPG Omni MP172 epoxy primer.

It has been a while since I was on the forum. I keep thinking that I am too old for painting and body work, but it always seems to find me. Ha! Glad to see that the site is thriving.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ytr1903 View Post
    Thanks Len,

Since you aren't that familiar with Nason, do you have a recommendation of products that you would use? I am not married to Nason. By the way, I would be using the PPG Omni MP172 epoxy primer.

It has been a while since I was on the forum. I keep thinking that I am too old for painting and body work, but it always seems to find me. Ha! Glad to see that the site is thriving.

Tom
    I've been using Glasurit paint products but they are very expensive. I also use another BASF product called Diamont which costs less than Glasurit but that is also more expensive than Nason.

We did a 20' boat not too long ago using Interlux white boat primer and white boat paint and it worked quite well but it's not a "hardened" product and stays soft for a long time. The customer supplied the paint so I don't know what it costs or if it comes in colors but I'm sure it would hold up well in the water.

i used awlgrip on my 30 foot sailboat. i used the entire system. (epoxy primer, color coat, and mixed some color into the clear for a really nice finish)
    this stuff is a lot like imron, which also holds up really well in the marine environment.
    my son works for a high end yacht builder and he says they use a urethane paint with good results too.
    bottom line is, if the boat is only in the water occasionally, almost any paint will work. if it's gonna live in the water it should have a barrier coat and antifouling paint from the waterline on down.
    b marler