TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to try my first Tri Coat Paint job.

Default Getting ready to try my first Tri Coat Paint job.

I will be painting a 2001 Cadillac Deville front bumper, the color is White Diamond, it's a tri-coat. I'm hoping to paint it this Friday, but it's not looking good, still need to scuff it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    I will be painting a 2001 Cadillac Deville front bumper, the color is White Diamond, it's a tri-coat. I'm hoping to paint it this Friday, but it's not looking good, still need to scuff it.

Thanks.
    What happens with "tri-coats" is that the amount of the mid coat will change the color significantly and unless you know the number of coats it takes to match the existing finish it's a crap shoot getting a match. It could take one, two or more coats to get a match so it's usually best to shoot a test panel with the base coat white, allow it to dry then mask off one third of the panel and shoot that third with a coat of pearl then move the mask to expose two thirds and apply another coat of pearl then remove the mask and shoot the entire panel with pearl then clear the entire panel and compare it to the existing finish to see how many coats it takes to make a match.

Unless the car was garage kept its whole life I dont see you getting a good match no matter what you do. A 2001 White is gonna have significant fading. Even with all the spray outs the new bumper will be a brighter white. Pearl white is probably the hardest to match.

Well, I'm not concerned with the match, he beat up on the price, he gave me a piece of the bumper that is smaller then a quarter. I told him it really needs to be blended, so he is getting what he gets. This is a close friend, but when I asked for his help, he said he was to busy, where is my bumper. So my main concern is how will I lay down the paint. I think I'm going to paint with it sitting on a stand,
    I will post pics soon.

Thanks.

Well, I'm not concerned with the match, he beat up on the price, he gave me a piece of the bumper that is smaller then a quarter. I told him it really needs to be blended, so he is getting what he gets. This is a close friend, but when I asked for his help, he said he was to busy, where is my bumper. So my main concern is how will I lay down the paint. I think I'm going to paint with it sitting on a stand,
    I will post pics soon.

Thanks.
    You shouldnt have any problems painting it. Basically you are just painted it white. Then spraying a translucent clear pearl. Then Clear. Spray your white like you would any regular base coat. But on the pearl do even coats all the way across the bumper. The pearl coat goes along way so dont be surprised if you have 3/4 of it left when your done. I usally do three coats of pearl if I am just spraying a bumper off the car.

Default What? explain please...

I will post pics soon.

Thanks.
    What do you mean by this: " he gave me a piece of the bumper that is smaller then a quarter"

I also found pearl to go pretty far.

You should practice with your gun (no paint) in your movement in painting the bumper. It's important you spray evenly. No starts and stops or you'll see it later.

Up his ass anyway. Apply the materials as you're learning to do to the best of your ability. Also, remember, bumper covers usually don't match the color on the car because they are never painted WITH the car but in another section of the assembly plant and mated up "just in time" to be assembled.

Give it back or bolt it on and kiss that job goodbye. You did your best.

Good luck buddy and don't worry about it.

Henry

BTW: that's THAN a quarter not then..........

I'm spraying as I type this at work. Really starting to doubt why I think I can do this.
    Base is almost done, big problem is, and or still is, dust, and lighting.
    I will keep you updated, like it or not.

Thanks.

Quick question, does the pearl coat go on wet or dry?

Thanks.

Quick question, does the pearl coat go on wet or dry?

Thanks.
    It depends on what products you're using. When I'm spraying Glasurit pearl I usually spray a medium wet coat and move the gun moderately fast and spray each pass from end to end with a 50% overlap but no stopping at the panels. Spray from one end of the vehicle to the other but practice because walking and spraying can be tricky.

Well it's done, looks decent for the most part, besides the Dust Nibs. I will post pics next week, I didnt bring my good cell phone camera.
    I used Matrix's MPB, base and pearl, and used PPG's Shopline Clear. Does have one flaw in it, but it's down at the bottom, shouldn't see it when it's on, not sure what it was, but I tried hiding it but I ended up with a sage.
    I'm just glad it's done!!!!

Thanks.

I used about 3/4 of a pint of the base, and about a 1/4 of the pearl. This thing was a size of a bus, didn't realize Cads were that big. I did the sides, then the front, used a led flash to help see, seemed to have alot of over spray. Still don't have a clue on what I'm doing, have more to learn.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! Your friend will be happy

Default Alright!

Yes, it does look really good from here. Nice job in the louvers as well. Hope the match with the car is a good one.

You say, you have more to learn. This is how you learn. Ask, then think about it (but not too long), then have at it.

I take it that you have to reinstall the cover?

Good job.

Henry

Henry, no I don't have to install it.
    One thing that bothers me is, it seemed like I used a lot of the base coat. Yes, the bumper was painted in black primer, and I really just shoot paint till it looks good, that's how I feel at least. This is my third paint job, that's one of the main reasons why I took it on, need more practice painting, and have done anything in awhile. And YES THE FINS SUCKED, what a pain! I did use my new FLG 4, nice gun, just needs a good painter behind it.
    Thanks for the kind words guys, and all of you guys are big help, couldn't do it with out you guys!!!

Thanks.

What price would some of you guys charge to paint this bumper? Just wondering.

Thanks.