TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: run repair, or sand and topcoat?

Default run repair, or sand and topcoat?

Painting outside, at dusk, has more than a few challenges... I thought that section looked like the primier was showing through, turned out to be an optical illusion. I have a course and fine file... but this is much more than I've ever tried to do before.... is it worth trying to remove the runs, or should I just sand it down to flatten and just spray the whole fender again?

Looking for the most efficient way to accomplish the task...

Its single stage urethane, solid white.

Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fj5gtx; 09-01-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Because of the extent of the runs it's going to be difficult to correct without repainting so I'd recommend blocking the runs with some 400/600 wet sandpaper as well as the rest of the panel and repaint the entire panel.

Are the parts hanging upside down?

Thanks.

Yes, upside down. Why? When painting in a dirty environment, its best to arrange the parts so that you minimize the horizontal area for trash. I paint hoods, tailgates, lids, etc vertically.

Default OMG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Painting outside, at dusk, has more than a few challenges... I thought that section looked like the primier was showing through, turned out to be an optical illusion. I have a course and fine file... but this is much more than I've ever tried to do before.... is it worth trying to remove the runs, or should I just sand it down to flatten and just spray the whole fender again?

Looking for the most efficient way to accomplish the task...

Its single stage urethane, solid white.

Thanks...
    Shit, I just got a look at that fender. I didn't know you posted it. Meanwhile, I was doing this: (see my post #8)

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...ing-clear-coat

Still, I say, don't worry about it. It's how we learn. I think too many passes?, too much air pressure?, too thin a mix?

Question: are you gonna sand and reprep this thing upside down too?

Henry

Next time will come out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Question: are you gonna sand and reprep this thing upside down too?
    Hahahaha... I was thinking of hanging it right side down, then doing a handstand and using my feet to sand it... you know, gotta make the work challenging or we'll get bored!

Actually, I have a nice size 2x4 horse with carpet covered top cord that this thing fits on perfectly.