TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: tailgate trim panel removal

Default tailgate trim panel removal

Have a tailgate from a 2000 Dodge Ram. It has that factory lower gate protector on it. It needs to come off so I can prep and paint the tailgate.

What is a good way to remove it? I started to slide a putty knife under it, but its tight, and I don't want to cause more work being rough.

Looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Have a tailgate from a 2000 Dodge Ram. It has that factory lower gate protector on it. It needs to come off so I can prep and paint the tailgate.

What is a good way to remove it? I started to slide a putty knife under it, but its tight, and I don't want to cause more work being rough.

Looks like this:
    If it's a glue on we would heat it with a lamp or blower to soften the adhesive and use a putty knife to separate it from the surface.

I bought one of these tools about six months ago to remove some stick on body mouldings. http://www.zoro.com/3m-scraper-stiff...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's close to $50 but it works great and saved me money on just the first job I used it on. It's a lot cheaper at $50 than to buy new stick on mouldings that in most cases get destroyed using other removal methods. This is based on the premise that you plan to reuse the moulding. Another point is that it does no damage to the metal in the removal process.

It's used with a bodyshop type air chisel.

Well, I didn't care for the trim yesterday.... but now its growing on me :-/

Thanks for the ideas. I think I have a putty knife attachment on my multi-tool, that would probably work similar to that $50 knife... its just not as big.

Default finally got to the tailgate

Day job taking up all my time.... finally started the tailgate job. It was attached with double sided tape. The heat gun and metal putty knife did the job, side affect was the heat made the plastic nice and black again - not that I'm using that trim again. Had to buy a large can of goof off to get all that tape residue removed.

When I bought that tailgate, I thought at least I wouldn't have dents where that thing is.... WRONG!

The stud welder is awesome... Last pic is the paint job. Not too shabby for ppg omni single stage.

Next time I'm going with rust AND dent free, with no double faced taped bottom trim stuff. I really like scuff and shoot ! This metal working stuff takes too much time! I finally gave in and did the final smooth coat with Evercoat polyester glazing putty. I shot it with omni epoxy, blocked the epoxy with 320 then 400 and soapy water. Then single stage omni mtk. Who needs fancy filler primer?
    Attached Images Attached Images