TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1956 Sea King 5 hp boat motor, have ?s.

Default 1956 Sea King 5 hp boat motor, have ?s.

I obtained this boat motor from a scrap yard, yes a scrap yard. I first checked for spark, to my surprise, it has spark. Next I added some gas, after about 20 to 30 pulls it came back to life. Then I put the motor in a buck of water, can't tell if water is running through the engine or not. So I remove the power unit. I then took a 1/2" drill to drive the drive shaft, the water pump works, but I had to run the drive full blast to get an water to rise to where the power unit sits. So, my question is, with the engine running at idle, should it be pumping water through the system, or will to need a high engine speed to pump?

I will post pics soon, it's in great shape for it's age. I also bought an black 7.5 Mercury, and an 9.9 Evinrude.

Thanks.

The water pump is probably made of rubber. It's 5 or 6 arms that spin off center in a cup. As it spins the arms get forced to change shape and this causes the water between the arms to get forced into the engine cooling passages. Those rubber parts get hard and fail to spring back into the proper shape to let water back into the pump. High speed forces them to work a little bit but not very well. Open the unit up and remove the rubber pump and try to find one that will work. You should be able to find one somewhere on the internet. A good pump should have strait arms. A bad one will have spiral arms that keep the shape they have been forced into for the last many years of not being used and they will be stiff and maybe have chunks broken off.

Bob K

I've had several (around a dozen) old outboard motors dating back as far as the 1920's and several from the 1950's. Your Sea King was obviously sold by Montgomery Wards company and the motor was made by the Gale Co.

There should be a very visible steady stream of water coming out of the outboards exhaust even at an idle. DO NOT run that motor if you can't see water coming out of the exhaust. If it only pumps water at higher rpms that means the rubber impeller is bad. You will burn that motor up if you run it with a bad impeller. You have to remove the lower unit to gain access to the water pump/impeller. You should be able to get a new impeller off of ebay for around $30 or less.

cut-n-paste ---- "Many old outboard brands were produced by OMC's onetime 3rd division, Gale. Gale built motors for Montgomery Wards, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Eaton's - the list goes on. These motors bore both cosmetic and mechanical resemblance to their Johnson/Evinrude contemporaries. If it resembles an old Johnson/Evinrude, it's probably a Gale, and your local OMC dealer might have some parts for it." (end cut-n-paste).

I currently have a 1930 Johnson 2 cyl. 4 hp A-50 that I have had for close to 20 years. I guarantee it to start and stay running with 2 pulls on the starter rope. It's all aluminum except for the engine block (unrestored not real shiny/original).
    It's the only old outboard of many that I kept and won't part with. This is a Youtube video of a 1930 Johnson A-50 the same as my old boat motor -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbkGrH0_7Y

One last thing - that old Gale/Sea King outboard you have was popular among sport fisherman and many of the 1950's Johnson/Evinrude and Gale outboards are still in use today for fishing.

That's what I thought, I tear into the lower drive next. And I only paid $17.00 bucks for it. Love this little motor, don't make them like this anymore.

Thanks.