TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: appropriate patch panels to repair ram wheel arch rust

Default appropriate patch panels to repair ram wheel arch rust

Thinking about doing it myself, but what would a body shop charge to fix this? I saw a pair of patch panels on ebay, anyone know if they are a good fit?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281460525310
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Thinking about doing it myself, but what would a body shop charge to fix this? I saw a pair of patch panels on ebay, anyone know if they are a good fit?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281460525310
    With paint a shop would probably get around $2000 per side. If you have a MIG welder, a compressor, metal cutting and grinding tools I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    With paint a shop would probably get around $2000 per side. If you have a MIG welder, a compressor, metal cutting and grinding tools I'd say go for it.
    I have the equipment, but no work garage - will make the painting part difficult with trash. Wondering if those patch panels are tall enough, doesn't look like too many inches above the arch. Would hate to spend on those and not span the entire hole.

Here is the other side...

Default That's my concern...

I have the equipment, but no work garage - will make the painting part difficult with trash. Wondering if those patch panels are tall enough, doesn't look like too many inches above the arch. Would hate to spend on those and not span the entire hole.

Here is the other side...
    From your photos, especially the drivers side, I think after you do some grinding surrounding what we can see, you might just run out of room with the patch you posted.

At the bottom of this post I'm leaving a link to a site I found on the net. The same may or may not be for your truck but it does give measurements, so check.

I think you need to start grinding or poking with a probe in the area of what we can see. Little black metal pucks are probably under that nice looking blue paint just waiting to join the rest of the rust & rot. If that happens to be the case, you might want to search out full quarters (minus the top sections).

NO PLACE TO PAINT: Weather is nice so if you have a place to work outside (park in the shade side of the truck) and do your repair. Have primer set to shoot at day's end to protect what you expose.

As far as painting, you only have the 2 sides. You might want to rig a canvas awning (you can use the holes on top of the bed for 2x3's). Block the back of the cab and rear of the bed. On a non windy day, have paint & guns ready and paint it. Depending on how much metal you have to change, you might well be able to blend the quarters. I would suggest you paint one side at a time and while you're doing the prep, put the word out you need an enclosure (someone's garage to paint in) with air. You gotta know someone.

Good looking truck, short bed 4 x 4, nice wheels and clean. Must be lots of dirt trapped in the wheel well. You might also want to pull the door panels and see what's starting in there. While open, clean them out and make sure the VENT/DRAIN HOLES are open.

Start exploring for more rust/rot.

http://raybuck.com/c-1132591-dodge-r...ge-pickup.html

Henry

Its an 04. The raybuck site looks like they have the same small patch for the 04 as the others I've looked at. I'm pretty sure that patch panel isn't going to be tall enough. I took my point-n-shoot digital camera with flash and shoved it up from under the rear driver side to see what it looked like from behind. Left side of pic is the inside of the quarter skin.

Default Salt belt?

That photo is really ugly. Salt belt driving with this truck?

Any others looking at your picture should take a couple minutes to lay down under their ride and do something BEFORE it gets as rusty as yours did.

The camera showed up in there but can you do any cleaning (sanding, brushing) up in there? Zero Rust comes to mind for yours and others years before that bad.

Found this cheater panel which is 15 inches high:

https://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi...n&key=D-261-RH

I might be inclined to go with this one over the others we looked at. Actually, like to have a quarter skin but the cost is just too much for that '04 unless you know you'll have it 10 years from now.

I figure at 15 inches high and $65, I might use this and if rot has gone any further, patch with sheet metal.

Henry

You can't really see up in there without a flash light, so you don't notice it until its popping out from inside out... then its too late.

I'm told they've added brine to the salt slurry they use on the roads around here.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...whats/22352942

There was an article in a local paper with a story that interviewed a bunch of mechanics about how much sooner in life the cars in the area are needing their metal brake lines replaced. They are accusing the brine component, since its one of the few changes made.

That panel you found looks like the same dimensions as the other patch panels, and the full quarter skin is $600... I don't think I have a good solution yet.

If it was me, I would get the price for two full bed sides. If Dodge is anything like my Super Duty, fix one spot and another will pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortec 1 View Post
    If it was me, I would get the price for two full bed sides. If Dodge is anything like my Super Duty, fix one spot and another will pop.
    I agree. Patch panels are usually a small band aid on a big problem. It will always pop through somewhere else on the panel just about as soon as you finish up one area (wheel arch). There are no cheap fixes and you can't cheat the hangman. Absolutely no question in mind mind would be replace both box sides IF you can't find a good rust free whole box replacement. If the wheel arches are bad then the tail gate is not far behind.

Default Try for...

You can't really see up in there without a flash light, so you don't notice it until its popping out from inside out... then its too late.

I'm told they've added brine to the salt slurry they use on the roads around here.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...whats/22352942

There was an article in a local paper with a story that interviewed a bunch of mechanics about how much sooner in life the cars in the area are needing their metal brake lines replaced. They are accusing the brine component, since its one of the few changes made.

That panel you found looks like the same dimensions as the other patch panels, and the full quarter skin is $600... I don't think I have a good solution yet.
    Try for changing the pick up body. Have a bone yard do a search for a clean one.

I hear what Phil is saying but new sides would run $600-800 EACH. You also need to treat the inside of the box to slow down more damage coming. You also need to start sanding from you rotted area around that wheel well and go up. Identify what will or will not be popping through next. If not bad, go with the cheater panels which should (fingers crossed) hold out at least a couple years, maybe more.

The one thing with your truck I'm having a hard time with is what else is rusted/rotted. Hard to believe only the box rotted. Cab corners, bottom of doors, bottoms and surrounding areas of front fenders and maybe the tailgate should show rust build, if not some holes. I say this based on how bad the rear wheel wells are.

I've done rot work on these trucks. The worst ones had the plastic flares around the wheel arch, helping to hold more dirt and hide rot.

Have you checked the rest of this truck carefully?

Henry

Funny you should ask this question, I'm in the middle of doing mine, http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...ust-Repair-101
    I need to price the outer wheel housing, they are about $62.00 each on ebay, I think I paid about $90.00 for both wheel arches. How are your rockers???? I will painting mine outside as will, LOL. I think I'm going to glue and weld the patch panels in.

Chad.

I sold it this week. I just didn't have the time to work on it, and didn't think paying retail paint shop prices was smart. It ran great, never left me stranded in 11 years. Sad to see it go, it was one bad a$$ truck. I may get another one, but it won't be new and it will probably cost me airfare - I'm getting one from the south ! I have a gallon of fluid film and the equipment to apply it to all the inside of the panels... thinking about the thin 3M stuff for inside the doors.