TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What to use to seal a motocycle gas tank?

Default What to use to seal a motocycle gas tank?

I've seen kits that use por15, just wondering if there is anything else to use?
    There is some surface rust inside the tank.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    I've seen kits that use por15, just wondering if there is anything else to use?
    There is some surface rust inside the tank.

Thanks.
    I and most of the bikers I know use Kreem. Been around for many years.

Just clean the rust out with a mild acid (vinegar), neutralize with a lot of water, dry it out and keep fuel in it. Coatings come off and leave a more difficult problem.

Default What if

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Just clean the rust out with a mild acid (vinegar), neutralize with a lot of water, dry it out and keep fuel in it. Coatings come off and leave a more difficult problem.
    What if you live in an area where you enter "off season" and need to store the bike? You don't want gas in it. What would you recommend?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    What if you live in an area where you enter "off season" and need to store the bike? You don't want gas in it. What would you recommend?

Henry
    Half of my work consists of custom bike paint. You fill the tank with fuel for winter storage. If the the bikes are stored in a dry place, even the guys that do not fill them have no corrosion issues.

Just clean out any mild corrosion and flush the tank. Don't use tank liners, one uncoated area can lead to failure. Ask any biker who has been stranded on the side of the road or know someone who has because of liner failure.

I sometimes don't fill the tank in my cars for 6 months storage and have no issues. Sometimes they are full.

What about using muriatic acid? Or is that to harsh? I will have a post with an up and coming project, my bike barn find, will sort of.

Thanks.

First of all vinegar isn't going to do anything that will help a rusty gas tank. I've been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years and I have never "sat alongside the road because a tank sealer failed". I have sat along side the road for several different bike failures but never from a sealed gas tank. Filling the gas tank up for storage in a rust tank isn't going to help because of ethanol in the gas. Any smart person will automatically use a see through inline fuel filter.

The original poster said he had some rust inside his gas tank. There is rust - AND THEN THERE IS RUST. Meaning it can be anything from a light brown surface rust like flash rust all the way to full scaly rust that's on the verge of becoming rust holes all over the tank. I'll say it again - the standard that real bike riders use for rust tanks is Kreem and if applied correctly it won't fail (just like any other good product if applied correctly).

Default Yes there is...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    First of all vinegar isn't going to do anything that will help a rusty gas tank. I've been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years and I have never "sat alongside the road because a tank sealer failed". I have sat along side the road for several different bike failures but never from a sealed gas tank. Filling the gas tank up for storage in a rust tank isn't going to help because of ethanol in the gas. Any smart person will automatically use a see through inline fuel filter.

The original poster said he had some rust inside his gas tank.

There is rust - AND THEN THERE IS RUST. Meaning it can be anything from a light brown surface rust like flash rust all the way to full scaly rust that's on the verge of becoming rust holes all over the tank. I'll say it again - the standard that real bike riders use for rust tanks is Kreem and if applied correctly it won't fail (just like any other good product if applied correctly).
    Good description Phil. Yes there is a difference. Glad you chimed in again on this thread.

Henry

Hey Phil, Did I say you broke down when you used tank liners? I don't see that I did. I certainly did not say filling a rusted tank for storage was going to remove corrosion. It is common sense any product used correctly will not fail, nothing new there. Common sense pertains to rust severity levels as well.

I use vinegar to take mill scale off steel all the time when doing fine metalwork, so it does work. There are also varying levels of vinegar - what's in the store is 5%, you can buy much higher percentages of acetic acid (vinegar) from industrial and agricultural suppliers. Beware, it's all acid whether acetic or muriatic. Muriatic will work as well to remove iron oxide, just be careful of the strength and don't eat up the tank.

Come to think of it, I bet Picklex would remove the rust if it weren't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I use vinegar to take mill scale off steel all the time when doing fine metalwork, so it does work. There are also varying levels of vinegar - what's in the store is 5%, you can buy much higher percentages of acetic acid (vinegar) from industrial and agricultural suppliers. Beware, it's all acid whether acetic or muriatic. Muriatic will work as well to remove iron oxide, just be careful of the strength and don't eat up the tank.

Come to think of it, I bet Picklex would remove the rust if it weren't too bad.
    Yes, Picklex could probably do the job if it's only flash rust like the picture below. If it's more serious pitted rust the Picklex should be worked into the surface with a scuff pad and that's a little difficult in a gas tank.

A guy who restores vintage BMW motorcycles recommends Caswell tank sealer. I have not used the product myself. It is worth checking out.
    http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html