TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What is a Good price to paint a bumper cover?

Default What is a Good price to paint a bumper cover?

Would like to know what some people charge to just bc/cc a front bumper cover for a Chevy Envoy? The color is a red metallic.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Would like to know what some people charge to just bc/cc a front bumper cover for a Chevy Envoy? The color is a red metallic.

Thanks.
    Using good quality materials you're taking about $300 to $350. Using low cost materials would be about $200 to $250.

Red metallic is about the most expensive factory color paint you can get. $125 a pint is not out of the norm. Figure in adhesion promoter, epoxy primer, urethane clear, clear hardener, urethane reducer etc etc. It would be very easy to sink over $200 in just materials (and not even top of the line materials but not bottom of the cheap barrel materials either). It's not worth doing for less than $200 paint labor. I would charge at least $400 and that would not include any collision damage, stone chips and cracked previous paint. I'm talking a new bumper, not repairing a used one.

I used to charge 85 a bymper and use sikkens..

A turbine saves alot of material cuts your cost in half...

If i charged 85 i profited 60-65.. Adhesion promotors a must and aerosol primer...

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    I used to charge 85 a bymper and use sikkens..

A turbine saves alot of material cuts your cost in half...

If i charged 85 i profited 60-65.. Adhesion promotors a must and aerosol primer...
    So you mask and prep the bumper and spend a minimum of $50 on cheap color and free clear then do all the prep and painting then clean the spray gun and you charge $85?? I guess you make about $10 if that.

A pint of my color would cost me about $70, mask and prep would take over an hour, adhesion promoter, masking materials, flex additive, clear and hardener would cost at least another $40. Spraying and cleanup would take another hour. I think I'll ship my bumper jobs over to you because it would be cheaper than doing it myself.

Ok, here is the deal, it's a new bumper. I figured it will be at least $100 for a pint of PPG's Shopline base coat, plus the other materials. I agree with Phil V, that's what I was thinking price wise. To me it's alot of work to just paint a bumper, with all of the prepping you need to do, then the cost of materials. I will let you know.

Thanks.

Default More info...

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Ok, here is the deal, it's a new bumper. I figured it will be at least $100 for a pint of PPG's Shopline base coat, plus the other materials. I agree with Phil V, that's what I was thinking price wise. To me it's alot of work to just paint a bumper, with all of the prepping you need to do, then the cost of materials. I will let you know.

Thanks.
    Better get prices. You said that color is newer Chevy red metallic. Could very well be a 3 stage.

Now, how about labor? You said it's a new bumper cover. Is it on the car or do you have to R&R. I like painting them off the car if they are off or I have to replace the cover.

I think Phil's prices are on target, barring if the color is a 3 stage.

On 3 stage: DuPont offers 3 stage paint in 2 stage on many colors but at $110 a pint. Still an alternative. Keep us posted.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Better get prices. You said that color is newer Chevy red metallic. Could very well be a 3 stage.

Now, how about labor? You said it's a new bumper cover. Is it on the car or do you have to R&R. I like painting them off the car if they are off or I have to replace the cover.

I think Phil's prices are on target, barring if the color is a 3 stage.

On 3 stage: DuPont offers 3 stage paint in 2 stage on many colors but at $110 a pint. Still an alternative. Keep us posted.

Henry
    A co-worker of mine has a 2011 Camaro SS. The name of the paint is red jewel tintcoat. The clearcoat is actually tinted red. First time I had heard or seen it. I did buy some dupont chormabase in a bc to paint something for him though. It was around $100 a pint when I bought it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    A co-worker of mine has a 2011 Camaro SS. The name of the paint is red jewel tintcoat. The clearcoat is actually tinted red. First time I had heard or seen it. I did buy some dupont chormabase in a bc to paint something for him though. It was around $100 a pint when I bought it years ago.
    Tinted clearcoats are not unusual in bike paint and as you have seen in auto paint. It is not reflected in any formula provided in bike land but obvious if you are familiar with candy appearance. $100 per pint is cheap, wait until you have to buy other colors or a proprietary color.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    So you mask and prep the bumper and spend a minimum of $50 on cheap color and free clear then do all the prep and painting then clean the spray gun and you charge $85?? I guess you make about $10 if that.

A pint of my color would cost me about $70, mask and prep would take over an hour, adhesion promoter, masking materials, flex additive, clear and hardener would cost at least another $40. Spraying and cleanup would take another hour. I think I'll ship my bumper jobs over to you because it would be cheaper than doing it myself.
    Clear is .66 cents an oz for medium quality/good for 3-5 years base is 9.80 if you need a colored sealer ad 4.30 tape plastic and scuff pad 3.75 one sheet of 500 grit for feathering .90 aerosol gun cleaner 1.00 each cleaning...

Base is mixed by the ounce averages $2.00 an ounce keep in mind a usual bumper uses 8-12oz with a normal system cut that in half with a turbine..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Clear is .66 cents an oz for medium quality/good for 3-5 years base is 9.80 if you need a colored sealer ad 4.30 tape plastic and scuff pad 3.75 one sheet of 500 grit for feathering .90 aerosol gun cleaner 1.00 each cleaning...

Base is mixed by the ounce averages $2.00 an ounce keep in mind a usual bumper uses 8-12oz with a normal system cut that in half with a turbine..
    Why do you talk about prices like those as if others have them? All of that is on a planet far far away for goodness sakes.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Why do you talk about prices like those as if others have them? All of that is on a planet far far away for goodness sakes.

Brian
    Thats my cost i am not special if i can do it anyone can..