TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi new to this forum and surface rust help?

I will be shopping around for used fenders of the same color. A junkyard had them online but already sold them (dang!) as for the other responses I appreciate the advice about getting fenders and I may go that way if need be. There are no visible holes in the fender but two tiny pinholes. As for the guy about his friend with the focus, lol I am not offended and I know focus have a bad reputation but I must be lucky because I've had zero issues with mine, I ride like crazy, it's got more than enough space and it's a fun car to drive. It's my first car so I can't say more and I'm satisfied with it. It's like I've never spent major $$ money on it but now the fender issue is opening my eyes that anything can happen with any car. Like how the heck does the fender rust out now.

Default Be careful...

Quote Originally Posted by bjcballa22 View Post
    I will be shopping around for used fenders of the same color. A junkyard had them online but already sold them (dang!) as for the other responses I appreciate the advice about getting fenders and I may go that way if need be. There are no visible holes in the fender but two tiny pinholes. As for the guy about his friend with the focus, lol I am not offended and I know focus have a bad reputation but I must be lucky because I've had zero issues with mine, I ride like crazy, it's got more than enough space and it's a fun car to drive. It's my first car so I can't say more and I'm satisfied with it. It's like I've never spent major $$ money on it but now the fender issue is opening my eyes that anything can happen with any car. Like how the heck does the fender rust out now.
    The rust on your front fender wheel well does not look common at all. Not sure how it got that bad unless it had some brush throughs that that allowed it to rust.

My point, and I often have one is, if this problem was in some way related to your run (make, model & color) then an identical one from the junkyard will have the corrosion already in place ready to bust out.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Where do you live in CT? I'm in central CT.

Like pulling teeth with you, what kind of car, year and make? Phil said Focus and I 100% agree with him.

That fender should be around +/- $40 through Keystone. If you know any bodyshops, they could order it/them for you.

That's a strange array of rust (with holes) on that fender. I always hated those cars with a passion. They came out in 2000 and had so many recalls that NHTSA was considering have FORD recall every one on the road. In the first year, they had 38 problems with 18 recalls in 3-4 months. Engine cradles were falling out while you drove.

I was working with my cousin who had a business and shop. He bought and sold and had a buy here, pay here in Wallingford, CT. I BEGGED him, whatever you do, PLEASE don't buy and Focus. Well, finally he did. The bodies are strangely put together. Many oddities. Screws and bolts of all sorts not really common to what you see on conventional cars of the time.

Anyway, sorry, I was not referring to you or your car. Just, I had a bad flashback of my involvement with the breed.

Do as Len said on how to paint them. Unless, you're after perfection, get your paint matched from a piece of you car. Like take one fender in to your local paint shop and they can camera the color. You can scuff and paint the fender(s) and then mount them. If you want to be fussy, scuff and paint all the edges and assemble on the car. then blend the paint into the doors, whatever.

Henry

Perhaps the OP was embarrassed to admit he was driving a Ford Focus? If he doesn't want to tell us what kind of car he drives... that's his prerogative. We shouldn't keep pushing and hounding him to tell us what kind of car he drives. All he wanted was paint and body work advice.... we shouldn't be prompting him for more information than he wants to divulge. My 2 cents worth .
    Last edited by Sagola Pistola; 05-02-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Noted...

Quote Originally Posted by Sagola Pistola View Post
    Perhaps the OP was embarrassed to admit he was driving a Ford Focus? If he doesn't want to tell us what kind of car he drives... that's his prerogative. We shouldn't keep pushing and hounding him to tell us what kind of car he dives. All he wanted was paint and body work advice.... we shouldn't be prompting him for more information than he wants to divulge. My 2 cents worth .
    Noted!

And, this last time I really didn't ask him. Only told him to compare his make, model, year and color against that he wants from the junkyard.

Is that ok with you?

Henry
    Last edited by Henry; 05-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.