TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New project 67 Fastback 390 Mustang

Default New project 67 Fastback 390 Mustang

I think it will be another month before I get to this project, but I am totally excited about it. I told myself I would get rid of all other temporary projects besides this one, so that's what I am doing. The prior owner did a munch of work under the car and he also had the engine rebuilt and the top loader four speed transmission.

It's nice to see something other then a Chevy being restored .

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I think it will be another month before I get to this project, but I am totally excited about it. I told myself I would get rid of all other temporary projects besides this one, so that's what I am doing. The prior owner did a munch of work under the car and he also had the engine rebuilt and the top loader four speed transmission.

Great project! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

A lot of potential there! Thanks for posting it. That 390 looks huge after looking at 289s.

Dang, that's a nice car ! If I was going to restore one more car it would be the '67 or '68 fastback. And that one looks like a really good project to start with. What color do you plan on going with it ? My favorite color for that model of Mustang was the dark moss green. The Acupulco Blue looked good on those cars also. Did you run the ID tag codes to see if everything is original ? The front end is hanging pretty low on the springs which makes me wonder if that was a small block car converted over to a big block. The engine code on the ID tag should read "S" for the 390-4bbl.

Keep us updated on your restoration progress. Like I said, that is about the only car I would want to tackle a full restoration on.

Hey Roadie, I agree 100%. Nothing against Chevy's but just about everyone and their brother has a Chevelle or a Camaro. Seems like three quarters of the cars at car shows are old Chevy's. When I go to a car show I usually walk past the Camaros and the Chevelles and go straight to the Fords and the Mopars. l have to admit I do like looking at the '60's and '70's Olds Cutlass 442's.

Default Please cover...

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post

Looks like you found a clean machine to restore. NO ROT is unreal and lucky for you.

Listen, you're making me nervous with that distributor hole OPEN. Cap that sucker, please.

Those front tires look WAY too big for the front of that car. I understand what Phil means about the sagging and his thoughts on that have merit but those tires just LOOK SOOOO big!

Henry

even a lot of the non chevrolet cars sport a chevy engine. it is downright sinful for a ford to have a chevy engine.

Prior owner loose interest part way through? Underside seems done while engine not completed from the pictures.

Default Sinful this!

Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    even a lot of the non chevrolet cars sport a chevy engine. it is downright sinful for a ford to have a chevy engine.
    How come you never see a Ford engine in a Chevy?

Henry

Because Chevy parts are available just about every were and any were.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

Henry
    Henry! Actually I have. A guy that my BIL knows put a 428 ford in a 40 chevy hot rod. I'd never of believed it if I hadn't seen it. First and ONLY time I've seen a ford in a chevy though. Hell guys are putting chevy engines in mid 90'd mustangs all the time.

- Jeremy
    Avid collector of rust!

Default Man bites dog!

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    Henry! Actually I have. A guy that my BIL knows put a 428 ford in a 40 chevy hot rod. I'd never of believed it if I hadn't seen it. First and ONLY time I've seen a ford in a chevy though. Hell guys are putting chevy engines in mid 90'd mustangs all the time.

- Jeremy
    That's a switch. Have a vanity marker plate for that guy that reads, "Don't Call My Ford a Chevy"!.

When I was a teenager, a good buddy was always building something. He had 2, '32 Fords. One was stock that he registered. The other had a 427 Chevy with 538 gears in it. He would swap the marker plate from one to the other in order to drive the thing on the street. He had a plate on the back just above the legal plate that said, "Don't Call My Chevy a Ford"!

Our State Cops had black Mustangs in the '80s with 5.0. Those 5.0's had a sound ALL their own. They used those and black Buick Grand Nationals.

I think the strangest Ford with a transplanted engine is one of our members here. Gary & Matt of "Father & Son Mustang" putting that Toyota race engine in that Mustang was really hot shit.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

Henry
    Sorry if this is a thread derail, but there really is a ton of them out there.
    http://www.hotrodhomepage.com/hrhp/2...owered-camaro/

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Tori...roBBF.jpg.html

http://www.460ford.com/forum/40-engi...red-chevy.html

http://s217.photobucket.com/user/com...ml?sort=3&o=13