TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: After market parts ?s.

Default After market parts ?s.

For the guys who do autobody work for a living or side job, when do you use aftermarket parts? When you can not find a good used parts, when factory parts are to high, ect?
    What about rebuilding a fairly new salvage title vehicle, do you use aftermarket parts?
    Wanting to know how other people do things.

Thanks.

Newer wreck with low miles. I try to go factory new or factory used parts.

Older wreck - I will probably go used parts and then some aftermarket stuff if needed.

Most aftermarket parts will fit, eventually. I've had pretty good luck with pickup stuff just bolting on. Aftermarket parts for cars can get rough. I normally won't buy aftermarket hoods. Hoods can be too thin. Fenders normally seem OK. Doors I almost always go factory used. Aftermarket plastic headers panels, headlights, grills, tail lights I've had OK luck with. They might not fit perfect, but close enough for the cost difference. Bumper covers are hit and miss to me. Normally they will install, but a factory cover will look better most times IMO.
    Avid collector of rust!

Most insurance companies specify aftermarket parts for cars older than 3 years. At one point years ago aftermarket parts were really bad fits, everything was pretty bad. That has changed over the years and I haven't had a bad part in quite a few years. About ten years ago I did a complete restoration on my late 1980's
    Ford F150 4x4. #/4 front clip, new drivers door, cab corners, used rust free truck bed. I stripped all the hardware from the used parts and weighed them (hood, fender and drivers door). The I weighed the new aftermarket parts --- and they weighed almost exactly the same as the factory parts (metal was not thinner). All the welds seemed to be in the same places on aftermarket as factory. No real discernible difference between factory or aftermarket parts on that truck. A couple months ago I bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze that needed body repair. I put an aftermarket fender on it that fit perfect. The door skin was only $120 right from the GM dealership parts dept and not available aftermarket. I haven't had a bad aftermarket part in many years. I used to work in several different new car dealership body shops over the years and THEY'RE parts did not always fit correctly. at least 50% of the time the body panels came with some form of damage. We used to say that the dealerships got all the rejected assembly line parts.

If you're doing a new Ferrari then buy factory parts, if you're doing American Iron over 3 years old no reason to not go aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    For the guys who do autobody work for a living or side job, when do you use aftermarket parts? When you can not find a good used parts, when factory parts are to high, ect?
    What about rebuilding a fairly new salvage title vehicle, do you use aftermarket parts?
    Wanting to know how other people do things.

Thanks.
    I normally use aftermarket parts when I'm doing a quick and/or cheap job, I use new OEM parts for better work and I use used parts on vehicles where new parts are hard to find.