TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Ford to release Electric car .

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

Default Ford to release Electric car .

Ford is going to come out with an all electric car . 200 mile range .

Ford-EV-Germany.jpg

Mooch ...will they never learn ..we don't want one .
    Some call me Doosh!

My problem with them is the length of time it takes to charge them. If you could charge them in five minutes it would be great but if it takes an hour or more then it greatly limits their market.

Also I wonder how much that range will drop when the temperature drops. My guess would be that the range could be cut in half.

also since we are spoiled for comfort the range would be cut in hot weather running air conditioning. it would get old having to plan any trips to make sure that you would be able to make it home or to a charging station with the time for recharging. it would get old having to park close enough to a charger and having to plug it in and disconnecting.

Default and $$$

Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    also since we are spoiled for comfort the range would be cut in hot weather running air conditioning. it would get old having to plan any trips to make sure that you would be able to make it home or to a charging station with the time for recharging. it would get old having to park close enough to a charger and having to plug it in and disconnecting.
    Those charging stations would charge. I'm sure the cost would be whatever they felt like charging because where else you going to go?

Those little shit boxes are for around town 'at best'. JUNK, all of them.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    I don't see an electric car as something that you take on a trip, it's more of a commuter car that you take to work and use a different car for longer trips. But as the technology improves they may be good for longer rides with short stops to recharge.

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Those charging stations would charge. I'm sure the cost would be whatever they felt like charging because where else you going to go?

Henry
    I agree .

Mooch
    Some call me Doosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

Henry
    I've never been in an all electric car but I've driven several hybrids and they are great cars.

Exactly, Len. Commute, run to the grocery store, etc. What I found is that I could lease a Nissan Leaf for ~$200 month, use a slow charger at home overnight, 20 mile commute and we have level 2 chargers at work (no cost). I was paying ~$400 a month in fuel for the diesel pickup before prices dropped, so other than insurance and safety down the freeway (not to be taken lightly) I was saving $200/month and had another vehicle to use.
    I realize this doesn't work for everyone, but it's an option.

Right now the only viable electric cars are the hybrids like the plug in Prius or the Chevy Volt. At least from my perspective.

Cut-n-paste of a 2015 Chevy Volt advertisement --- " With its ingenious propulsion system, unlike traditional hybrid cars, Volt lets you drive on pure electricity for your everyday commute and seamlessly switches to gasoline for longer trips. In fact, owners who charge regularly are averaging more than 900 miles between fill-ups. (end ad)

Those Volts have been out for a while now and they should have worked out most of the kinks in them by now. Probably a good car (and not a little sh*t box either).

Default 2016 Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Right now the only viable electric cars are the hybrids like the plug in Prius or the Chevy Volt. At least from my perspective.

Cut-n-paste of a 2015 Chevy Volt advertisement --- " With its ingenious propulsion system, unlike traditional hybrid cars, Volt lets you drive on pure electricity for your everyday commute and seamlessly switches to gasoline for longer trips. In fact, owners who charge regularly are averaging more than 900 miles between fill-ups. (end ad)

Those Volts have been out for a while now and they should have worked out most of the kinks in them by now. Probably a good car (and not a little sh*t box either).
    In 2010, the Volt was a good looking car. Too bad it came with a price of +/-$40K. Not for the masses, that's for sure. Anyone who could afford (or wanted one) didn't have to be concerned about gas prices.

Time has gone on and they got designed a little smaller and the new ones are only 4 seaters. Great for a family? Here is the 2016:

http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-volt/

Phil, last time the forum got on this topic, mooch was talking about campers of his that did NOT have to charge the Prius. The new ones have a plug. Seems the older ones would be much better than having to plug them in. I still say, might be OK for around town. I would never want one and I don't think you, mooch, Len and others on the forum would want one either of any make. They're just not there yet. AND, why does the government need to give a $7,500 credit if you buy one?

Henry

when it comes time to replace the batteries i am afraid most of your savings will go down the drain.