TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: My Floor Paint Headache

Unhappy My Floor Paint Headache

Recently I had the interior of my Hudson sandblasted and epoxy-primed. I was going to topcoat the passenger compartment floor for added protection against moisture and scratches, but I think I see a problem. The sandblaster left patches of rough-textured, sprayed-on undercoat and primed over them. A lab test has verified that the undercoat contains asbestos. Further encapsulating it would be an added reason to topcoat the floor. However, I don't want to scuff sand the epoxy primer for fear of gouging the undercoat, which was sprayed on in a pattern of ridges and valleys. Although many several people have suggested removing the undercoat entirely, this would be a huge job which would create a lot of messy asbestos-laced waste. Although the asbestos fibers are bonded by tarry slop, it is impossible to remove thus stuff without braking it up and creating dust.

Can anyone suggest a way to topcoat that won't disturb the undercoat. A few people said that Zero-Rust or POR-15 would hold on the surfaces where the epoxy primer has a rough texture from the undercoat. Does anyone have experience with this? Others tell me that the epoxy primer, which will be under carpets and mats, is sufficient in itself and I shouldn't worry.

Eager to hear what more experienced folks think!

P

Peter, probably the word abestos in your post that could be causing lack of response to your project. It sounds like there is very little to deal with, but on the other hand, it sounds like you previously must have sandblasted a whole lot of it off. Assuming you sandblasted most of it off already, and assuming that would caused an airbourne issue with asbestos, most of this problem is behind you. It is unlikely members will make much in the form of recommendations when it comes to abestos.

I have a friend who has an attic full of abestos insulation. He wanted a remodel job and no one would touch it without an inspector involved. Providing the insullation was not distrubed, the remodel could go forward. No walls or ceilings that would stir up abestos could be distrubed unless the abestos was removed by a professional licensed abestos handler. Obviously we are not talking about an attic of abestos here. Its also obvious most of your problem has already been removed. My point is the trigger word "abestos" and the liabilities associated with it.

If you are talking a very small amount, I would scrape it off with a sharp wood chisel. I would wear personal protective equipment to avoid breathing it. I would dispose of it in a sealed container at the local land fill, providing they accept it that way. Then I would wet sand the areas keeping plent of water on it and minimizing airbourne fumes while also wearing PPE.

If I was uncomfortable with any of this, I would call my county health extension office and confirm my plan with them for approval. Once you contact them, they may question how you removed the majority of the abestos. You might also ask them about encasulalting the risidual abestos with a product such ask epoxy primer or another rust inhibitor paint.

Sorry for the paranoid answer, but I noticed no responses so I jumped in. Im from Montana and we have billions of dollars in law suits here over abestos.

If you want to incur major expense and delays get the government involved. In no way shape or form would I let them know anything youre doing regarding asbestos.. Id lean toward applying the zero rust and moving on with the project.

EDIT : FYI Im a noob at paint/autobody

Peter, starting to see why this is a hot potatoe? Shooting wolves and grizzley bears in Montana is highly illegal. If you lie to a federal officer about it, its a felony. I have heard guys say it comes under the three S Rule. Shoot, shovel, and shut up. But of course I would never apply anything like that to something as serious as a tablespoon of asbestoes. (if I could put a winkie icon here, I would).
    Last edited by Outlaw56; 03-18-2015 at 05:33 PM.

It's all going to be covered by carpet, right ? How about shooting some bed liner covering the whole floor including over the asbestos undercoating. If you spray bedliner over that stuff I can guarantee you that asbestos could never harm a human for the next 100+ years. Honestly if it were my car that is probably what I would do and be done with it.

I think most people in this day and age way over react to just the term asbestos. Yes it's dangerous and absolutely a bad idea to inhale asbestos fibers but it's important to keep things in proper perspective. An anal retentive/OCD gov't employee person would come unhinged at just the name asbestos and tell you it's going to cost you $40,000 to encapsulate that car in a sealed hazmat enclsoure and have a team of 10 trained professionals to "safely" remove that insulation with a little asbestos in it. Then charge you another $10,000 to "properly" dispose of that hazmat asbestos material. The same thing with lead, just the name sends people into apoplectic fits. ALL of us older bodymen have been grinding and sanding lead in cars for the last several decades. I always work good dust masks and covered bare skin, no problems with lead poisoning.

Again, if the car were mine I would cover that little bit of asbestos insulation with more insulation or cover it with truck bed liner material.