TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High solids, medium solids....huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I agree, when you don't know the products you're working with it's a good idea to check the TDS especially since most are available online. What do you find that you need most of the time that the TDS gives you?
    C'mon...you know what's on a TDS....is this a quiz or survey of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    C'mon...you know what's on a TDS....is this a quiz or survey of some sort?
    Yes, I know that there can be a lot of info on a TDS and I look at them mostly for substrate info and mixing ratios for products that I'm unfamiliar with. Since you use them more than me I asked what do you use them for?

Default gtome...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    The same pattern persists from long ago on another site. Critical? I did point him in the right direction by asking a rhetorical question: Have you ever read a TDS?
    You enjoy busting his balls. Read all the posts you've addressed to him. Some rude comments. There are ways to tell people to go to hell and make them look forward to the trip. You do not possess that ability.

Leave the kid alone. He has posted many pics years ago of many '60s muscle cars with him working on them so yes, he is at least with the cars and they are 'high end'.

Since we don't work with him nor a fly on the wall we don't know what he does. Could be the janitor running a bluff on this site.

I have to say, I do like some of the harassment you give him cause it keeps him on his toes to learn. Just keep in mind, it'snot what you say but how you say it. I think you can be a prick and you know it.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Since you use them more than me I asked what do you use them for?
    Where did I say I use them more than you? Wait...are you saying you've sprayed a product for the first time and just winged it...or god forbid...someone on an internet forum said that's how it's done?

I use them mostly to find out when I can polish....just so I can take a picture and say it's right out of the gun.

Well Henry now you are assuming things and being judgmental. I might just break down and cry. My posts are technical, dry and to the point, not rude and not flowery. To reiterate, I do think it's odd that one with years of experience does not read a TDS for basic info like dry film thickness. Maybe I'll start adding smiley face icons to my posts.

typicalcarguy Guest

I like to look at tds for many things,suggested air pressure,tip size,flashtime,different hardeners or accelerators that can be used for different situations,cure time,polish time,if you need to repair a bothced job is sanding necessary or can it go right on top.Basically all of the above and more just out of curiosity.Most guys with some experience can look at the directions on the can and go from there and make it work.Not mandatory but WTF it can't hurt to be prepared.My 2 cents.

Henry chill out,Scott calls a spade a spade and is too the point and honest.We have all been a dick on here at times including yourself.
    Last edited by typicalcarguy; 02-06-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by typicalcarguy View Post
    I like to look at tds for many things,suggested air pressure,tip size,flashtime,different hardeners or accelerators that can be used for different situations,cure time,polish time,if you need to repair a bothced job is sanding necessary or can it go right on top.Basically all of the above and more just out of curiosity.Most guys with some experience can look at the directions on the can and go from there and make it work.Not mandatory but WTF it can't hurt to be prepared.My 2 cents.

Henry chill out,Scott calls a spade a spade and is too the point and honest.We have all been a dick on here at times including yourself.
    Actually you're saying exactly what I have AGAINST TDS info. When it comes to gun adjustments or tip size how would the paint manufacturer know what type of gun you're using? Different guns take different adjustment and parts for the same paint products.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Where did I say I use them more than you? Wait...are you saying you've sprayed a product for the first time and just winged it...or god forbid...someone on an internet forum said that's how it's done?

I use them mostly to find out when I can polish....just so I can take a picture and say it's right out of the gun.
    Ok, you win, I was just trying to find out what info you get from a TDS that you find helpful. If that's asking too much I'm sorry.

typicalcarguy Guest

Well the paint manufacturers actually test what tip and different guns in their training centers to find what works best with their products as they spend multi millions in research and development.Like it or not it is a fact.

Flash ,cure,polish,recoat,times different hardeners accelerators,etc is all useful info.Cant hurt to be prepared even if you do know it all......

Well the paint manufacturers actually test what tip and different guns in their training centers to find what works best with their products as they spend multi millions in research and development.Like it or not it is a fact.

Flash ,cure,polish,recoat,times different hardeners accelerators,etc is all useful info.Cant hurt to be prepared even if you do know it all......
    Actually the uses of the products and the way they are combined with activators etc. is the more useful information. If the paint manufacturer(s) listed the gun adjustments and configurations for specific guns then that info would also be useful. I haven't run across that type of info in a TDS.

He was probably Uber busy with 30 cars to go to auction before 5 that day and his phone was jacked so he couldn't look it upLOL just giving goatboy a hard time.
    Your not too far off! Gotta get this stuff done. No auctions til April 17th. But I have 2 cars headed to Sweden soon. Including the giant Impala ive been doing. Got the hood, doors, deckild, and front fenders wetsanded, buffed, and put on the car today (along with painting the bottom of a car and the frame). Really should go in tomorrow and finish it, but its time for a day off. And I really want to buy a new truck....so I want to go do some shopping.

But really as I said before. I have never really been "the painter", so, learning as I go. And when your under the gun all the time, there isnt much time for standing around reading. I guess I could be doing that now. And I guess reading it would do me zero good without a mil gauge anyway.

typicalcarguy Guest

Check this one out,even list 3 different guns.Not all tds are like this but most of them are now.Experienced or not it gives everyone a heads up on a product and will reduce learning curve.

http://www.matrixsystem.com/docs/tech/AG-40%20TDS.pdf

Thats kind of fun that it gives that info. The stuff I use doesnt give specific info for a certain gun. http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...458_72500S.pdf

typicalcarguy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gtome View Post
    Your not too far off! Gotta get this stuff done. No auctions til April 17th. But I have 2 cars headed to Sweden soon. Including the giant Impala ive been doing. Got the hood, doors, deckild, and front fenders wetsanded, buffed, and put on the car today (along with painting the bottom of a car and the frame). Really should go in tomorrow and finish it, but its time for a day off. And I really want to buy a new truck....so I want to go do some shopping.

But really as I said before. I have never really been "the painter", so, learning as I go. And when your under the gun all the time, there isnt much time for standing around reading. I guess I could be doing that now. And I guess reading it would do me zero good without a mil gauge anyway.
    Geezus you are too much,you think you are so stressed for time and you cant take 30 secs to read a tds sheet to educate yourself.Try working in a production paint shop spraying 10 cars a day with no mistakes and you will realize what it really means to get cars out the door.You would learn all about time management.

Check this one out,even list 3 different guns.Not all tds are like this but most of them are now.Experienced or not it gives everyone a heads up on a product and will reduce learning curve.

http://www.matrixsystem.com/docs/tech/AG-40%20TDS.pdf
    I don't use Matrix but it's nice that they throw a couple guns on their TDS so you have some range of equipment to work with. A nice list of smaller guns or siphon feed guns would be better but at least they give the basics my paint lines don't list any specific gun specs. Of course they couldn't list them all but a good cross-section of the market would be a lot better.