TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford = more reliable ///\\\ Chevy = faster

Default Ford = more reliable ///\\\ Chevy = faster

I guess I'll get flamed now, but there it is.. Yup, I said it.

I've had a few of each, and in my experience, the Chevy's were always the faster engine. The problems I've had with Chevy's was "everything else" . Sometimes those other things were major. When my old Monte Carlo went to the junkyard, the engine would still start.. it just needed a transmission, and muffler, and distributor, and power steering pump, and front end, and universal joints... I drove it till the driveshaft fell out.

The Ford's I've had, they're never quite as fast as Chevys, but they just keep on going and going like the energizer bunny. I used to have a Ford van with a 302, and I overheated that thing mercilessly a couple times, but it never blew up. A new radiator made it all good again "like it never happened".

I never really had any love for Mopar. I had a 1975 Cordoba for a little while, and it was kinda fast, but it had all kinds of other problems, including a cracked "K-frame".. That car was nothing but stress... When I laid it up on a curb, I was actually kinda relieved to be "done with it" already. But that one did get some good "slideways" once it got wound up.. posi rear and all, that big ol boat could drift on dry pavement pretty good.

Default Feel Better Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    I guess I'll get flamed now, but there it is.. Yup, I said it.

I've had a few of each, and in my experience, the Chevy's were always the faster engine. The problems I've had with Chevy's was "everything else" . Sometimes those other things were major. When my old Monte Carlo went to the junkyard, the engine would still start.. it just needed a transmission, and muffler, and distributor, and power steering pump, and front end, and universal joints... I drove it till the driveshaft fell out.

The Ford's I've had, they're never quite as fast as Chevys, but they just keep on going and going like the energizer bunny. I used to have a Ford van with a 302, and I overheated that thing mercilessly a couple times, but it never blew up. A new radiator made it all good again "like it never happened".

I never really had any love for Mopar. I had a 1975 Cordoba for a little while, and it was kinda fast, but it had all kinds of other problems, including a cracked "K-frame".. That car was nothing but stress... When I laid it up on a curb, I was actually kinda relieved to be "done with it" already. But that one did get some good "slideways" once it got wound up.. posi rear and all, that big ol boat could drift on dry pavement pretty good.
    What the hell is this, True Confessions?

It's OK Jim. You can like anything. Of course with you, have you had anything on 4 wheels you didn't beat the hell out of and/or take to that 'Only In Hawaii' race track?

Listen, I'm happy for you no matter what you drive. And, the good news is, as long as Len keeps this site going, you'll always have a place to get all those Fords repaired and help make them run again! We love you Jim.

Henry

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

I have owned all three brands over my 71 years on your planet .

I tend to lean towards Fords since the 70s . I'm not a cheerleader for any of the companies now .

I have had very good luck with every make of car I have owned . None were a lemon .

I laugh at how some people seem to think one company is better than the other .

My first car was a 1951 Chrysler Crown Imperial and wish I still drove it . "but I would put AC into it ".

I found most of the older cars easy to work on . The new cars are not made to be repaired at home .

The newer trucks are a nightmare to work on .

To be honest I really don't feel like working on any car anymore .

Of course we all know no make of cars could ever compare with the Hudson Hornets of the early 50s ..the first real muscle cars.

Where Jim lives they still use wooden wheels .

Mooch
    Some call me Doosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I tend to lean towards Fords since the 70s . I'm not a cheerleader for any of the companies now .

I have had very good luck with every make of car I have owned . None were a lemon .

My first car was a 1951 Chrysler Crown Imperial and wish I still drove it . "but I would put AC into it ".

I found most of the older cars easy to work on . The new cars are not made to be repaired at home .

Of course we all know no make of cars could ever compare with the Hudson Hornets of the early 50s ..the first real muscle cars.

Mooch
    I've had good and bad cars from just about every manufacturer. Mercedes being by far the worst (don't ever blow up a Mercedes motor)and Nissan (Maxima) being the best (0 issues with 3 different ones about 150k on each one. Honda Accord was also very good. Ford Mustang 5.0-blew engine and transmission. Chrysler and GM cars (Buick) with turbos-blew up the turbos on every one of those bastards up multiple times, the Buick Century Turbo Coupe at 17k (wish I still had it now-very rare). Both VW's---good for the first 50k or so then immediately turned to sh-t. Nickle and dime you to death. Dodge trucks (with the Hemi) have been very good to me over the last several years. C6 Corvette was pretty good overall but the last 2 years I only put 800 miles on it so hard to say. Still a low mileage car when I sold it. What took the most abuse? 62 bel air station wagon with a straight 6 and stick shift. Had to drive it 20 miles severely overheating and was certain it would sieze up. Got me home, fixed the hose and it was no worse for the wear. Try that with an aluminum block or headed motor!

I like the old cars because you can work on them at home but lets face it, the newer cars are far more reliable.
    Rarely see a Hudson Hornet these days-even at shows. Did see a Henry J not too long ago.

If I were ever to purchase a new car it would be a Ford strickly because they didn't screw their stockholders.

Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
    I've had good and bad cars from just about every manufacturer. Mercedes being by far the worst (don't ever blow up a Mercedes motor)and Nissan (Maxima) being the best (0 issues with 3 different ones about 150k on each one. Honda Accord was also very good. Ford Mustang 5.0-blew engine and transmission. Chrysler and GM cars (Buick) with turbos-blew up the turbos on every one of those bastards up multiple times, the Buick Century Turbo Coupe at 17k (wish I still had it now-very rare). Both VW's---good for the first 50k or so then immediately turned to sh-t. Nickle and dime you to death. Dodge trucks (with the Hemi) have been very good to me over the last several years. C6 Corvette was pretty good overall but the last 2 years I only put 800 miles on it so hard to say. Still a low mileage car when I sold it. What took the most abuse? 62 bel air station wagon with a straight 6 and stick shift. Had to drive it 20 miles severely overheating and was certain it would sieze up. Got me home, fixed the hose and it was no worse for the wear. Try that with an aluminum block or headed motor!

I like the old cars because you can work on them at home but lets face it, the newer cars are far more reliable.
    Rarely see a Hudson Hornet these days-even at shows. Did see a Henry J not too long ago.

If I were ever to purchase a new car it would be a Ford strickly because they didn't screw their stockholders.
    Yup, imo, Chevy makes the best engines CC. The old Chevy "350 four bolt" is one of my favorite engines ever. My old Monte Carlo used to get 22 mpg on the highway and it would still smoke a lot of faster "looking" cars. If I could drop one of those babys into my F-150, I would.

I've seen so many Dodge trucks that were crap, I don't think I would ever buy one... but I do like the way Dodge trucks look.

Honda makes a lot of good stuff, but when it comes to a V-8, Chevy rules. The Japanese cars are good for 4 cylinders, but imo, nobody can touch a Chevy V-8. Chevy sets the bar high.

My F-150 usually gets about 15 mpg, and it's only a V-6... The best mileage I ever got was close to 18, all highway miles, with nothing in the bed... but my truck ain't fast at all. It's "slightly" quick, but not fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    What the hell is this, True Confessions?

It's OK Jim. You can like anything. Of course with you, have you had anything on 4 wheels you didn't beat the hell out of and/or take to that 'Only In Hawaii' race track?

Listen, I'm happy for you no matter what you drive. And, the good news is, as long as Len keeps this site going, you'll always have a place to get all those Fords repaired and help make them run again! We love you Jim.

Henry
    Henry, are you alright buddy? You sound pissed..

When I was young, I always beat my vehicles merciless. I'm a little easier on them now (except at the track).

That track was good fun! ... but it's over... we don't have a track on this island anymore..

On the street, I drive like a citizen these days. It's been a long time since I even did a brake-stand, and it's been many many years since I raced on the streets... I kinda like having a license.. and nowadays I realize that it ain't my own fault that I can still walk and talk. I got lucky a few times, nobody got hurt, but there were a few times when I thought it was "over"... And then I got out without a scratch..

I'm glad to say that nobody in my car ever got hurt... not even a little.. and nobody on the outside ever got hurt by my car either. But I will admit that there was some luck involved on a few of those occasions.

Can you make your own luck? ... maybe... but luck is still luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

Mooch
    heheheh, did you ever see that picture of the wood motorcycle Mooch? Lol, Frame and all, but the engine was metal.

I disagree Mooch.
    I think that different companies are better at different things.

For instance... In a Chevy, you can drop into a turn at any moment, and, whatever was on the the dashboard would bounce off the "A-Pillar" and land on the floor.

Ford and Chrysler... you might have to pull over and go back to get your lighter off the sidewalk...

I just buy what I have had good luck with. Nissan p/u's for me. I buy a new one when I the hit 150,000 miles. We have a 97 Subaru Legacy
    with 307,000 miles the only thing we have had to replace is the tranny at 290,000 miles. I have had 2 Toyotas that at 50,000 miles the head gaskets went.
    Last edited by roadiestar; 01-29-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Default Not at all!

Henry, are you alright buddy? You sound pissed..
    Not at all pissed Jim. I'm happy for you and what you do. I enjoy reading what's going on out there.

You don't get to have sanGwiches like you showed one time and maybe not real great tasting meatball grinders, but hell, you don't have to shovel snow anymore or even see it. Sorry if you read what I said in a different way than it was intended.

Henry

Not at all pissed Jim. I'm happy for you and what you do. I enjoy reading what's going on out there.

You don't get to have sanGwiches like you showed one time and maybe not real great tasting meatball grinders, but hell, you don't have to shovel snow anymore or even see it. Sorry if you read what I said in a different way than it was intended.

Henry
    Right on Henry, I guess I misunderstood then..

But yeah, a good "Roast Beef sanGwich" is definitely one of the things I miss about NJ. In particular, the "hard roll" is the ingredient that can't be got out out here.. Out here, they call it a "kaiser roll", and it looks kinda similar but it ain't the same... not even close actually..

I miss "Sabrettes" too.
    It's hard enough to find saurkraut, but Sabrettes are unobtainium out here... And, at the few places that actually have saurkraut, it's always cold.. most people out here don't even know what saurkraut is..

Those Sabrettes are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by roadiestar View Post
    I just buy what I have had good luck with. Nissan p/u's for me. I buy a new when the hit 150,000 miles. We have a 97 Subaru Legacy
    with 307,000 miles the only thing we have had to replace is the tranny at 290,000 miles. I have had 2 Toyotas that at 50,000 miles the head gaskets went.
    I never owned a Nissan, but I kinda like the old "Frontier".

The thing I don't like about Nissan is the paint. Nissan has the worst paint of any factory imo.

Back when I was painting my bike parts, people would tell me "don't use black, black shows everything". ... So I started paying close attention to every black paint job I saw, and, Nissan was the worst "by far". They're all orange peel.

Honda, Harley, and Mini have the best paint finishes I saw.
    And, of course Mercedes, Caddy, Lexus, etc, had nice finishes too... But those are in a different class.

Default Feel like a fool...

Right on Henry, I guess I misunderstood then..

But yeah, a good "Roast Beef sanGwich" is definitely one of the things I miss about NJ. In particular, the "hard roll" is the ingredient that can't be got out out here.. Out here, they call it a "kaiser roll", and it looks kinda similar but it ain't the same... not even close actually..

I miss "Sabrettes" too.
    It's hard enough to find saurkraut, but Sabrettes are unobtainium out here... And, at the few places that actually have saurkraut, it's always cold.. most people out here don't even know what saurkraut is..

Those Sabrettes are the best!

Jim, first of all, how too bad they don't stay kids! Her face says it all doesn't it, then those arms hugging you.

Those Hawaiian people who don't eat all the 'good stuff' will 'feel like a fool' dying from nothing!

Henry

Jim, first of all, how too bad they don't stay kids! Her face says it all doesn't it, then those arms hugging you.

Those Hawaiian people who don't eat all the 'good stuff' will 'feel like a fool' dying from nothing!

Henry
    yeah Henry, my daughter is 21 now... but I still got a hug yesterday

Btw, those pics are from "ground zero", in May, right before 9-11. I'm glad we made that trip.. it was awesome.

I don't know what you heard about the Hawaiian diet, but if there were Sabrettes available out here, I'll bet they would sell just fine. The most popular hot dogs out here, "Redondo's", have so much red food color in them that they look like candy! ... they taste ok, but they got nothin on a Sabrette..

ps Henry.. There was a hot dog wagon in downtown Honolulu that had a Sabrette umbrella years ago. When I heard about it, I made a special trip down there to get some. ... but it turned out to be Costco hot dogs... I never went back..

Default So,

ps Henry.. There was a hot dog wagon in downtown Honolulu that had a Sabrette umbrella years ago. When I heard about it, I made a special trip down there to get some. ... but it turned out to be Costco hot dogs... I never went back..
    When you hang up the hammer, sounds like a REAL HOT DOG cart or stand for you. I can send you ROSOL hotdogs and some famous meat sauce from "Capital Lunch" and some homemade krout. Think the shipping cost would run us out of business?

Henry