TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Bolt

Default GM Bolt

So GM is coming out with the Bolt which is a $30,000 electric car with a 200 mile range. My biggest consideration would be how long it takes to get a full charge. Also I wonder if the 200 mile range gets cut short in cold weather. I've heard that our NJ governor is trying to push through a tax on electric and hybrid cars to help offset the loss in gas tax revenue.

Default Won't open...

Most likely won't open because I'm using an older version of IE.

Anyway, who the hell is coming up with this ugly styling? That thing looks like a nice body for my Garden Tractor(s). Just butt ugly.

You know, just like the VOLT, the thing is overpriced. At least the Volt was a decent looking car. I think Toyota (hate to say it) has the electric market with their proven Prius. That being said, there isn't really a savings in any of these junks when you consider how much it cost in electricity to charge them back up.

I have a doctor with 2 Prius cars on his 3rd buy since they came out. He has a large barn with lots of SOLAR panels on it. That's where he plugs the little cars in to charge back up. He told me if anyone wanted a Prius without a supplemental charging source they would only be fooling themselves with regards to MPG or range. The more people I ask, I find, when the truth or whole story is told, the doc is right.

We need a manufacturer to come out with some whittled down ride like this for under 20K for the masses to use. This one claims 30K then add the dealer prep, conveyance fees and other add on crap and you won't leave the door for under 35K. Then, God help your ass if you need to change the battery pack. Crude oil into gasoline is here to stay. The fuel cell is the only good thing that we'll probably never have. Hugo Chavez is making strides in that area.

Henry

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

Anyway, who the hell is coming up with this ugly styling? That thing looks like a nice body for my Garden Tractor(s). Just butt ugly.

You know, just like the VOLT, the thing is overpriced. At least the Volt was a decent looking car. I think Toyota (hate to say it) has the electric market with their proven Prius. That being said, there isn't really a savings in any of these junks when you consider how much it cost in electricity to charge them back up.

I have a doctor with 2 Prius cars on his 3rd buy since they came out. He has a large barn with lots of SOLAR panels on it. That's where he plugs the little cars in to charge back up. He told me if anyone wanted a Prius without a supplemental charging source they would only be fooling themselves with regards to MPG or range. The more people I ask, I find, when the truth or whole story is told, the doc is right.

We need a manufacturer to come out with some whittled down ride like this for under 20K for the masses to use. This one claims 30K then add the dealer prep, conveyance fees and other add on crap and you won't leave the door for under 35K. Then, God help your ass if you need to change the battery pack. Crude oil into gasoline is here to stay. The fuel cell is the only good thing that we'll probably never have. Hugo Chavez is making strides in that area.

Henry
    Why would he have to charge his Prius ? It has a gas engine that charges the car as you drive over 40 mph .

I have several campers who own the Prius and get up to 50 mpg on the Highway.

mooch
    Some call me Doosh!

Default Then & Now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    Why would he have to charge his Prius ? It has a gas engine that charges the car as you drive over 40 mph .

I have several campers who own the Prius and get up to 50 mpg on the Highway.

mooch
    I hear you mooch and agree. Starting in 2012, the Prius is a plug in. Don't know what happened to the kind your campers have or why the technology changed:

"""Payback? Probably not.

With the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In expected to sell at $3,500 to $5,000 more than a comparable Prius, payback in this traditional sense probably isn’t going to happen—even if gas prices double."""

I don't really follow these things but maybe the Leaf or others can totally charge themself. Seems like Prius took a step backwards.

Henry

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

I hear you mooch and agree. Starting in 2012, the Prius is a plug in. Don't know what happened to the kind your campers have or why the technology changed:

"""Payback? Probably not.

With the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In expected to sell at $3,500 to $5,000 more than a comparable Prius, payback in this traditional sense probably isn’t going to happen—even if gas prices double."""

I don't really follow these things but maybe the Leaf or others can totally charge themself. Seems like Prius took a step backwards.

Henry
    Oh the plug in is all electric would be my guess Henry .

Mooch
    Some call me Doosh!

Default Has gas too

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    Oh the plug in is all electric would be my guess Henry .

Mooch
    Mooch, these specs are copied from and online search. Notice it has a large (<12 gallon) fuel tank:

"""Power and Performance
    1.8L I-4 98 HP engine
    2-spd CVT transmission w/OD
    Hybrid electric motor alternator
    Battery with run down protection
    Axle Ratio 4.11 axle ratio
    Fuel Tank 11.9 gal. fuel tank
    Stainless steel exhaust

Fuel Economy
    Fuel Economy City 51.0 mpg city fuel economy
    Fuel Economy Hwy 48.0 mpg hwy fuel economy
    """

Who knows. Price of gas does not bother me. Wanna drive? Then pay. Want 4 wheel drive? Then pay a little more. Besides, you couldn't make it to where you are at 200 miles a clip and stop to charge it up. I know you would never tolerate that crapola.

Henry

Batteries for electrics may go by the wayside, The next thing to start appearing is a hydrogen cell which creates the electricity without the need for batteries,

Default Exhaust...

Quote Originally Posted by All Dry View Post
    Batteries for electrics may go by the wayside, The next thing to start appearing is a hydrogen cell which creates the electricity without the need for batteries,
    You are right and the water that comes out of the exhaust, you could drink. Maybe our children or grandchildren will see the fuel cell, hydrogen cell as common place. Hugo Chavez does not live here.

Henry

You are right and the water that comes out of the exhaust, you could drink. Maybe our children or grandchildren will see the fuel cell, hydrogen cell as common place. Hugo Chavez does not live here.

Henry
    Actually the hydrogen cells are in production cars for 2015 right now. You will see more of them this year from manufactures.

Default But...

Quote Originally Posted by All Dry View Post
    Actually the hydrogen cells are in production cars for 2015 right now. You will see more of them this year from manufactures.
    How long do you figure we could even get California up and running with the stations needed? Then how about the rest of the country? What is your guess for how many years (just wondering). I might venture to guess up to 10 years. Will be nice.

Henry

Default Then there's the Volt

How long do you figure we could even get California up and running with the stations needed? Then how about the rest of the country? What is your guess for how many years (just wondering). I might venture to guess up to 10 years. Will be nice.

Henry
    I have no idea.

I don't see the Prius as an impressive car. The plug in Prius has an EV range of 11 miles (ELEVEN MILES), then it switches over to a regular gasoline propulsion at 50 mpg. What the hell advantage is that ??? The Chevy Volt has an EV range of 38 miles then switches over to gas engine with 38 mpg (combined city/hwy).

The 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI (turbo diesel) (NON ELECTRIC) managed 77.99 mpg over 8122 miles.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/24/v...ough-lower-48/

The current available electric cars are toys and are not serious competitors to the internal combustion engine vehicles. The "greenies" keep pushing electric this and electric that but the technology is still a long way off to actively compete with what we already have.

Default Note...

Watching Barrett-Jackson last night and the new Mustang and they called it "Shelby GT 500", with VIN# 001 was auctioned for charity for 1 million $. I assure you this machine was NOT electric.

No, our options for electric automobiles just ain't there and won't be for many years to come. Too much to sacrifice in owning any of them. Imagine people sitting at a dealership signing away for 5 years to buy one of these chopped up things. Makes what we drive look a lot better.

Henry

Henry
    What a waste,my 91 honda crx gets. 48 city and 60 hwy and has non of the maintenance issues like these tech monsters..