TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Kia Soul

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,783

    Default Kia Soul

    I bought a new Kia Soul almost three years ago and in the show room the window sticker said 35 MPG and that was one of the reasons I purchased the car. However when I started driving the car it was only getting 28 MPG so I complained to the dealer but they had no answer except to say that the mileage would probably improve as the car got broken in. Well it didn't but because of a "class action suit" Kia pays me for their false claims. Based on the number of miles I drive I get about $100 per month by putting in a mileage report online. So I've been collecting this money for almost three years and the car is an excellent car with almost 80,000 miles on it with no problems at all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NOT in San Francisco bay area California
    Posts
    29,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I bought a new Kia Soul almost three years ago and in the show room the window sticker said 35 MPG and that was one of the reasons I purchased the car. However when I started driving the car it was only getting 28 MPG so I complained to the dealer but they had no answer except to say that the mileage would probably improve as the car got broken in. Well it didn't but because of a "class action suit" Kia pays me for their false claims. Based on the number of miles I drive I get about $100 per month by putting in a mileage report online. So I've been collecting this money for almost three years and the car is an excellent car with almost 80,000 miles on it with no problems at all.
    HOLY CRAP that is amazing! I need to talk to AM about this my Rambler doesn't get anywhere near the 24 advertised! Let's see, since 1959, they owe me and the previous owner some serious cash.

    Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    HOLY CRAP that is amazing! I need to talk to AM about this my Rambler doesn't get anywhere near the 24 advertised! Let's see, since 1959, they owe me and the previous owner some serious cash.

    Brian
    Kia keeps sending me deals on a new car, they know the next owner doesn't get the gas payment and I'll stop getting it if I buy a new car because their MPG estimate is now much closer to reality. They send me debit cards that I use mostly to service the car for oil changes, tires etc.
    Last edited by Len; 01-07-2015 at 12:30 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    19,537

    Default Right...

    Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    HOLY CRAP that is amazing! I need to talk to AM about this my Rambler doesn't get anywhere near the 24 advertised! Let's see, since 1959, they owe me and the previous owner some serious cash.

    Brian
    Yeah, good luck with that!

    Henry

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    873

    Default

    That blows me away they send you a check for mileage. I don't think I've ever had a vehicle get what it was listed.

    My buddy has a 2011 Kia optima and it's not been that great. Wheel bearings, half shafts, transmission, struts all replaced before 70k miles. Now the transmission and struts were done under warranty.
    Avid collector of rust!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    That blows me away they send you a check for mileage. I don't think I've ever had a vehicle get what it was listed.

    My buddy has a 2011 Kia optima and it's not been that great. Wheel bearings, half shafts, transmission, struts all replaced before 70k miles. Now the transmission and struts were done under warranty.
    I'm not a gentle driver and I drive a rough dirt road several times a day and I haven't had any problems with suspension or anything else. Mine is a 2012 and has been very reliable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33,101

    Default

    Junk said .......... I don't think I've ever had a vehicle get what it was listed.
    I agree, I think they all lie.
    LS6

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NOT in San Francisco bay area California
    Posts
    29,177

    Default

    It sounds like the Kia was documented as not getting MPG as advertised but driving habits make a hugh difference in the fuel economy you get. More than I ever imagined and I THOUGHT I knew what to do to get good gas milage. But without studying it I would have never known what I didn't know.

    Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Back in the early 90's my uncle fixed a wrecked 89 ford escort for my parents. So it was a pretty new car. Anyway this thing got like 12 miles to the gallon. So my mom takes it to the local ford dealer. Guy says "Well they never get what's on the sticker". Yeah 12 vs 25. BS. Ended up taking it to a larger ford dealer with a newer scan tool and they got the computer set back up right. I thought it was hilarious the dealer says the cars don't get what's rated.
    Avid collector of rust!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moochville
    Posts
    37,887

    Default

    I have never seen a new car sticker say you would get a certain MPG . Everyone I bought said your mpg might vary .

    My wife's new van get more than the sticker said on long runs . When I drive it doesn't get what she gets .

    Mooch
    [SIGPIC[

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    19,537

    Default I remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Kia keeps sending me deals on a new car, they know the next owner doesn't get the gas payment and I'll stop getting it if I buy a new car because their MPG estimate is now much closer to reality. They send me debit cards that I use mostly to service the car for oil changes, tires etc.
    I recall when those cars came out. Hell, at the time you and the mooch were liking to buy one.

    Some 'group' must have raised a lot of hell, say someone like Consumer Reports who did professional testing under 'best' test conditions and probably couldn't hit 30mpg. Then, that big snowball started rolling downhill gaining more size and mementum to bring Kia to their Korean knees. Surely it wasn't just a bunch of buyers. Just a game played to stunt the growth of something. I like some of the KIA offerings and no one can beat that 10yr, 100K warranty.

    If the sticker says 35 we all know it will vary. Hell, it's winter and I see tons of cars sitting in driveways "warming up" especially with remote starters. Then some of these same people complain about gas mileage. Len, you really as they say, "stepped in shit" on that one and glad you did.

    "Your results my vary".

    Henry

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    15,335

    Default

    Len,
    If I was in that situation I would drive it till it dies! Look at it as free money!
    In terms of gas mileage, most of the newer cars I've owned have achieved or at least approached as advertised. I don't drive the cars nearly as hard as in my younger days. My 2007 Corvette would approach 30 out on the highway. My girlfriends Hyundai turbo gets about 35+/- on the open road.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moochville
    Posts
    37,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
    Len,
    If I was in that situation I would drive it till it dies! Look at it as free money!
    In terms of gas mileage, most of the newer cars I've owned have achieved or at least approached as advertised. I don't drive the cars nearly as hard as in my younger days. My 2007 Corvette would approach 30 out on the highway. My girlfriends Hyundai turbo gets about 35+/- on the open road.
    My F350 got 16 mpg this trip to Florida . Maybe Ford will give me some money ? lol

    I like the lower cost of fuel as it makes happy to see the sand turds not control gas prices . But other than that I don't really care about mpg as long as it is really bad .

    Mooch
    [SIGPIC[

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    19,537

    Default Trying or Driving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    My F350 got 16 mpg this trip to Florida . Maybe Ford will give me some money ? lol

    I like the lower cost of fuel as it makes happy to see the sand turds not control gas prices . But other than that I don't really care about mpg as long as it is really bad .

    Mooch
    I'll ask but I know the answer. Were you trying for gas mileage or just driving? And, is yours a 4 x 4 or 2 wheeler? While asking, how much weight did you haul down? Nosey prick ain't I?

    Henry

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moochville
    Posts
    37,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I'll ask but I know the answer. Were you trying for gas mileage or just driving? And, is yours a 4 x 4 or 2 wheeler? While asking, how much weight did you haul down? Nosey prick ain't I?

    Henry
    Towing at 70 to 75 on Highway when we could . 4x4 but of course in 2 wheel drive . 12 ft Box trailer with about 2,000 lbs in it .

    Next year will just driving down in car as all the stuff I needed is here now .

    Mooch
    [SIGPIC[

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •