TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: epoxy primer as sealer

Default epoxy primer as sealer

I want to use epoxy primer as a sealer rite before I shoot the basecoat, what mixture rate and how many layers, and wait time, any info would be helpful, it is in 2k primer now and I am wetsanding to 400 and 600 grit

Quote Originally Posted by bigge31566 View Post
    I want to use epoxy primer as a sealer rite before I shoot the basecoat, what mixture rate and how many layers, and wait time, any info would be helpful, it is in 2k primer now and I am wetsanding to 400 and 600 grit
    The mixture rate will depend on the primer you're using, read the manufacturer's recommendations. I usually apply two coats with a 50% overlap. The amount of time between coats and before applying base will depend on the characteristics of the primer and the reducer as well as the temperature in the room. I usually wait until the first coat flashes before applying the second then I'll wait about an hour at 70 degrees F before shooting my base but the speed of the reducer makes a big difference in timing.

Do I even need a sealer if everything is already primered, Im just worried about bare spots on corners after sanding

I thought I read on here that a spot smaller than a dime down to bare metal was ok to shoot base on in the collision world.

I've went to using a dedicated sealer when I feel I need sealer. Seems like a dedicated sealer lays down nicer for me than my epoxy mixed as a sealer.
    Avid collector of rust!

Quote Originally Posted by bigge31566 View Post
    Do I even need a sealer if everything is already primered, Im just worried about bare spots on corners after sanding
    If you only sanded through an edge a little you'll probably be ok to just apply your paint but if you have bare spots on the surface I'd say to apply primer before painting. Priming or not can also depend on the type and quality of your paint.

Im using PPG Deltron bc/cc