TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well I got me first side job.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Do I do anything about the dust nibs in the base, or just clear it?

Thanks.
    It depends on how bad they are. If they are real bad then sanding and re-basing is probably best but if they aren't real bad then clear, sand and buff. It also depends on the color and the result you're looking for. A high quality result demands more time in prep work and/or more time in correcting the finish.

Well, I laid down my clear tonight, all I can say is the metallic looks good. But man talk about the dust nibs, it's like mountains! I've had less problems in my garage, and outside then this paint room. So, I'm going to block it with some 1500, and try to hand rub it out, then if it looks decent enough I may try my hand at buffing it. What should I use to hand rub and polish?

Thanks.

Default Say what...

Do I do anything about the dust nibs in the base, or just clear it?

Thanks.
    On the one hand you're bragging about getting your first paying job in this field and you have us all rooting for your success. Then you ask a question like the one above.

The best answer to you is YES. Yes you do something about dust nibs in base and DO NOT clear over them as the clear will magnify them and you CANNOT buff or sand those out later. I guess Len said it depends on the kind of finish you're after.

When you're ready to pull the trigger on the gun for anything from primer to base to clear, you ONLY do it over clean surface. No nibs or dust or any other contaminants. This work has tons of variables that we can't control easily but when dust nibs come, we remove them.

I'm not trying to bust your balls but if you want to do this and learn then do it right for a good outcome. Not many people will pay you nor do you want to see a finished paintjob that looks like a textured ceiling. Know what I mean?

You can take a tack rag and drag it on the nibs in your base hoping the nibs might be loose and wipe away. Beyond that, sand it VERY lightly with fine paper on a soft block. YOU WILL have to re-base after sanding. Also, try to find out where your dust is coming from. Make sure you/your clothes, paper on the parts, walls, ceilings, airline are not loaded with dust that will fall and get blown on what you want to paint.

Henry

Thank you 7or your replies, this is what I what I want to know, what not to do and what the proper technique is. I've watched videos, and have talked to guys who has done paint and body work, which I've 7ound to be miss leading. Now, just to clari7y, you can sand out impre7ections in primer, clear coat, but not in the base. So, I have lay down a per7ect base color coat. That will never happen at this time, due to environment, cheap gun, low end paint.
    Where I'm at now is, have wet sanded with 1500, bu77ed with compound and polish, I still have some sanding scratches I need to remove, going back over with 2000.
    But here is my problem, I have an edge that the paint is gone, yes gone. No I didn't burn it o77 7rom bu77ing, I wish, I think I missed it with clear. I remember doing the three inside seams, where the hood is, the light, inside the wheel well, and the bottom mounting, don't remember going up the door side. I used some old tape on the edges so I wouldn't burn through. When I removed the tape, there was a lot o7 residue, so I took some laquer thinner to clean it o77, that's the only thing I can think o7.

So my question is, do I just sand with 1500, back tape about an 1" 7rom the edge, spray base, move my tape line back another 1", and spray clear, then wet sand and bu77?

Thanks.Thank you 7or your replies, this is what I what I want to know, what not to do and what the proper technique is. I've watched videos, and have talked to guys who has done paint and body work, which I've 7ound to be miss leading. Now, just to clari7y, you can sand out impre7ections in primer, clear coat, but not in the base. So, I have lay down a per7ect base color coat. That will never happen at this time, due to environment, cheap gun, low end paint.
    Where I'm at now is, have wet sanded with 1500, bu77ed with compound and polish, I still have some sanding scratches I need to remove, going back over with 2000.
    But here is my problem, I have an edge that the paint is gone, yes gone. No I didn't burn it o77 7rom bu77ing, I wish, I think I missed it with clear. I remember doing the three inside seams, where the hood is, the light, inside the wheel well, and the bottom mounting, don't remember going up the door side. I used some old tape on the edges so I wouldn't burn through. When I removed the tape, there was a lot o7 residue, so I took some laquer thinner to clean it o77, that's the only thing I can think o7.

So my question is, do I just sand with 1500, back tape about an 1" 7rom the edge, spray base, move my tape line back another 1", and spray clear, then wet sand and bu77?

Thanks.Thank you 7or your replies, this is what I what I want to know, what not to do and what the proper technique is. I've watched videos, and have talked to guys who has done paint and body work, which I've 7ound to be miss leading. Now, just to clari7y, you can sand out impre7ections in primer, clear coat, but not in the base. So, I have lay down a per7ect base color coat. That will never happen at this time, due to environment, cheap gun, low end paint.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't want to tape on the panel because you'll get a ridge in the paint that will be very difficult, or impossible, to remove. If the problem on on the door then scuff the entire door with some 1000 or 1200 grit, apply your color over the problem then clear the entire door.

Default Panel?

The bottom photo looks like a fender - yes? Do as Len said regardless.

Your finish looks really good. Too bad for the blemish but you'll get it.

Henry

Yes, it the edge o7 the 7ender. I thought I was home 7ree till I seen that. So, I can just touch up the blemish and not have to rebase the whole panel?

Thanks.

Yes, it the edge o7 the 7ender. I thought I was home 7ree till I seen that. So, I can just touch up the blemish and not have to rebase the whole panel?

Thanks.
    That's right, just prep the panel, shoot a couple of coats of base along the edge until it's covered allow it to flash then clear the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    We don't want anyone sick on our paint HOWEVER, Do you smell her nail polish and the remover IN THE HOUSE YET!!!!!!!!!!! Case closed.

Henry
    Isnt that the truth!!!

Default And more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrtDanes View Post
    Isnt that the truth!!!
    Thank you. I thought I was alone. Then comes the hairspray, and body lotion and moisturizers and now she has a deodorant that can wake me from a sound sleep. WTF.

I told her, you don't need any of that crap. You stink with chemicals like one of those old ladies who come into an elevator and you can't breathe.

Further tell her, God made woman (you) from a rib. A cheaper cut of meat I might add. He also made woman smell the way they do (you did) for a reason. AND, you're gonna go to hell for altering what the Lord has done.

We can talk about noise later. I can't sleep with the noises she makes $2K on a TemperPedic and I end up on the couch downstairs.

Henry

I don't know about you, but I love being MARRIED!!!! It's like a death sentence, just suck the li7e o7 you.

SStampede.

Well it's done, it's not pe7ect. I did learn how to cut and bu77, and learned how to do some touch up work.

Chad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Well it's done...

Really makes you feel good - yes? Tons of work between the start and finish with lots of variables to know of and deal with. Good job and keep going.

Henry

To be honest, I really thought I would never get to this point, it has taken along time to get here. Yes a lot o7 work, and that's an under statement! Does 7eel good to say I can do this.

Chad.