TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I got me first side job.

Default Well I got me first side job.

I'm fixing and painting a fender for a 2000 Honda Accord coupe. It's for a guy I work with, he was backing out of his garage and hit the passenger side of the car. So he buys a used head light and fender with of coarse with some damage, about half way up close to the door, and a nice crap repaint. As of now, I sanded most of the old paint off, knocked out most of the damage, welded up a spot where the fender cracked, and I have a coat of filler applied and sanded down. Just need to find a place to paint the epoxy primer, paint and clear, since it cold here. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    I'm fixing and painting a fender for a 2000 Honda Accord coupe. It's for a guy I work with, he was backing out of his garage and hit the passenger side of the car. So he buys a used head light and fender with of coarse with some damage, about half way up close to the door, and a nice crap repaint. As of now, I sanded most of the old paint off, knocked out most of the damage, welded up a spot where the fender cracked, and I have a coat of filler applied and sanded down. Just need to find a place to paint the epoxy primer, paint and clear, since it cold here. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Thanks.
    Will it be painted a metallic color using base/clear paint? If so it may be best to cut in the edges of the fender then hang it and spray the fender, blend the door and clear both panels.

Yes, it is a base and clear job, the paint is a dark blue pearl. But I will not be blending the door or hood, just painting the fender. The car has 325,000 thousand miles, the clear on the roof is peeling off, rust spots on the hood. I told him it will not be perfect, and don't ask me why he wants it fixed, I would have drove it the way it was.
    I basically took the job to obtain some more experience, pay for the materials I already have, and try to get some exposer, which my boss wants me to give him quote on his truck.

Thanks.

Yes, it is a base and clear job, the paint is a dark blue pearl. But I will not be blending the door or hood, just painting the fender. The car has 325,000 thousand miles, the clear on the roof is peeling off, rust spots on the hood. I told him it will not be perfect, and don't ask me why he wants it fixed, I would have drove it the way it was.
    I basically took the job to obtain some more experience, pay for the materials I already have, and try to get some exposer, which my boss wants me to give him quote on his truck.

Thanks.
    Cool! Glad to see you getting some work.

Way to go. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. I live in NW Pa, it's cold here also. I just use heaters in my garage.

Thanks.
    Ever think of heating the panel up withca heat gun before shooting it,your best bet is to invest in a infra tec light that way you are sure you primer is not just dry but cured..

Just a quick update, my boss has allowed me to paint at work, we have a small paint room. So I sprayed the epoxy primer Friday, and over the weekend I caught a cold. So I missed my 72 hour window to shot my base, today I started scuffing the fender to respray the primer, which kind of sucks. I was able to get most of the small imperfections out, which is nice. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Style,
    I have looked at those, but my biggest problem is, my garage is attached to the house, and no matter what I do, the wife still smells the paint. Which is not good.

Chad.

Default BS...

Just a quick update, my boss has allowed me to paint at work, we have a small paint room. So I sprayed the epoxy primer Friday, and over the weekend I caught a cold. So I missed my 72 hour window to shot my base, today I started scuffing the fender to respray the primer, which kind of sucks. I was able to get most of the small imperfections out, which is nice. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Style,
    I have looked at those, but my biggest problem is, my garage is attached to the house, and no matter what I do, the wife still smells the paint. Which is not good.

Chad.
    We don't want anyone sick on our paint HOWEVER, Do you smell her nail polish and the remover IN THE HOUSE YET!!!!!!!!!!! Case closed.

Henry

Style,

Chad.
    Get a turbine sprayer they are more efficient..

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.
    I just shipped a Fuji Mini-Mite 4 to a boat builder in Florida who is spraying interiors of BIG yachts and told me he gets a beautiful finish with almost no overspray.

We also have an ongoing special on the Axis Citation below which come with a pump for spraying and a pump for breathing. The Citation also has free shipping until 12/31/14

Axis stage 3 is what i have and i use a apollo gun fir full pains and a smalker touchup type gun for bumpers and jambs,headlights etc... being up to 98% efficient is a nice thing vs the regular 50/50 conventionals..

Last time i bought one gallon of single stage black and a quart of hardner i did two completes with color change and had over 2 inches left in the one gallon of base still at the bottom of the can..

Just a quick update again, I sprayed a coat o7 primer last 7riday. So today I was going to spray my base at work, but the power went out, and was told to go home at 1:00. I took the 7ender home, and sprayed the base, since it was about 60 out, with little wind. The base looks Ok, I do have some dirt or something, I'm not sure i7 I could take some 1000 grit sand paper and just knock out the couple o7 high places 7rom the dirt or just leave it alone?

I will try to post some pics when my computer connects to my phone.

Oh, did I say anything about not liking metallics, and cheap guns?

Thanks.

Chad.

Just a quick update again, I sprayed a coat o7 primer last 7riday. So today I was going to spray my base at work, but the power went out, and was told to go home at 1:00. I took the 7ender home, and sprayed the base, since it was about 60 out, with little wind. The base looks Ok, I do have some dirt or something, I'm not sure i7 I could take some 1000 grit sand paper and just knock out the couple o7 high places 7rom the dirt or just leave it alone?

I will try to post some pics when my computer connects to my phone.

Oh, did I say anything about not liking metallics, and cheap guns?

Thanks.

Chad.
    If you're spraying an inexpensive metalic base or using a cheap gun don't apply the base paint too wet, spray it more dry and allow it to dry between coats and before clear is applied. Trying to apply metallic smooth can result in mottling, get the metallic on evenly and allow the clear coat to give you the gloss.

Do I do anything about the dust nibs in the base, or just clear it?

Thanks.