TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Clear Coat Issues, and recoating ?s.

Default Clear Coat Issues, and recoating ?s.

Well I tried painting my hood and bumper cover Sunday, which started out Ok, but ended badly. Dealing with the wind all day made things frustrating to say the least, but things turned from bad to worst when I mixed the clear 1:1, and not 4:1., for the hood. So the first coat took for ever to dry, which I didn't think it would. So I then moved on to the bumper cover, after dealing with the bumper cover getting blown over, and fixing the base color. I mixed up some more clear, the correct ratio this time, added some flex additive. That went Ok till the end, when the clear, not sure what to call it, kind of wrinkled, blistered, looks crinkled, in two spots. And I'm not sure why, I then took the same clear for the bumper cover with the flex additive, and sprayed the hood, it did the same thing, but it's not ruff, it doesn't look right at all. So to sum things up, I think I'm going to sand down the hood, spray the hood again with base, then reclear, as for the bumper cover, I'm not sure if I fix the spots or not. I do have area where I need to touch up with base, and reclear. So what do you call these bad areas, and how soon can I sand down the hood, and the spot on the bumper cover for base?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Well I tried painting my hood and bumper cover Sunday, which started out Ok, but ended badly. Dealing with the wind all day made things frustrating to say the least, but things turned from bad to worst when I mixed the clear 1:1, and not 4:1., for the hood. So the first coat took for ever to dry, which I didn't think it would. So I then moved on to the bumper cover, after dealing with the bumper cover getting blown over, and fixing the base color. I mixed up some more clear, the correct ratio this time, added some flex additive. That went Ok till the end, when the clear, not sure what to call it, kind of wrinkled, blistered, looks crinkled, in two spots. And I'm not sure why, I then took the same clear for the bumper cover with the flex additive, and sprayed the hood, it did the same thing, but it's not ruff, it doesn't look right at all. So to sum things up, I think I'm going to sand down the hood, spray the hood again with base, then reclear, as for the bumper cover, I'm not sure if I fix the spots or not. I do have area where I need to touch up with base, and reclear. So what do you call these bad areas, and how soon can I sand down the hood, and the spot on the bumper cover for base?

Thanks.
    You're getting a bad reaction between paint products. What type of paint are you using?

I'm using PPG's Shop line.

Thanks.

For the bumper cover, I plan to sand down the bad areas, rebase a small area and reclear the whole bumper. What should I use to scuff the clear, grey scotch pad or other?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    For the bumper cover, I plan to sand down the bad areas, rebase a small area and reclear the whole bumper. What should I use to scuff the clear, grey scotch pad or other?

Thanks.
    A scuff pad can produce an uneven scratch, I'm a fan of sanding a job like that with some 800 or 1000 grit wet sandpaper.

Great that's what I did last night, and I hand polished the bad area. It's not that bad, plus its on the lower side of the cover, so, I'm going to leave for now. I do have one spot that I need repair, can I just back tape that area, re-base, re-clear, cut, hand polish and look half way decent?

Thanks.