TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Some basic painting ?s.

Default Some basic painting ?s.

How ounces of paint does it take per panel? I've heard 7oz, that's with paint and reducer, correct? How many coats is that, 2-3? Only mix up what I need based on that? And how long will paint last in the gun? I think it takes about 5mins to flash per coat, and then temperature and humidity comes into play.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    How ounces of paint does it take per panel? I've heard 7oz, that's with paint and reducer, correct? How many coats is that, 2-3? Only mix up what I need based on that? And how long will paint last in the gun? I think it takes about 5mins to flash per coat, and then temperature and humidity comes into play.

Thanks.
    There are variables that come into play that will change the answers to your questions. IE how well does your paint cover? How efficient is your spray gun? How much experience do you have applying paint?

In most cases three coats will be enough unless you're using inexpensive paint. The total amount of paint per panel can vary greatly, mix enough for one coat then you should be able to judge how much more needs to be mixed. Under normal conditions, using the correct hardener, the paint will usually last a hour or more after mixing. Try to use the correct hardener and reducer for the temperature at the time you spray.

Well, I have pretty much no experience with spraying paint, besides watching videos. As the gun they are just the cheap HF ones, and I will picking up some PPG paint tomorrow to practice.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I am a new painter.

As Len stated, you will have to practice and see where it leads you. I did the opposite of what Len stated though because the product has a long pot life. I Mixed up a larger batch (about 12 ozs - 6 oz epoxy, 6 oz activator) because I did not want to go empty while painting (epoxy), since it was my first time spraying, but it was a good indicator for me on quantity needed. Now, I feel more comfortable mixing a smaller batch. There will be some waste. I recall a statement from someone and went something like this - spray according to your plan and don't feel that you need to continue spraying because there's some product remaining; it may end up causing problems. I kept that in mind and when I had some leftover, I tossed it.

Just One Man's Opinion...Al
    "Think before you speak - Pops"

I will post some pics tomorrow, of my progress. I'm using PPG Shopline, I do have some questions though. The data sheet says the gun inlet pressure should be 45-55 psi, 10psi at the cap, the gun says 28psi max, 10.4 max at the cap. I set the gun up at 50psi, with fluid control almost wide open, and the fan wide out open. At these setings, it was stripping like crazy, and going thru the paint, so I made some adjustments, with the fluid control and fan, and dropped air pressure. It improved quite a bite, so I'm thinking I need to set the inlet pressure to 25-28psi, readjust the fan and fluid control as needed, and respray, to check. Does this sound correct? Now or the basecoat, it looks good for my first time, but it does have a shine to it, not a gloss but a shine, not sure i this is correct, I thought it should be flat, not sure what it should be. As or the gun its a Habor Freight, the proessional one.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SStampede; 09-09-2014 at 07:40 AM.

I will post some pics tomorrow, o my progress. I'm using PPG Shopline, I do have some questions though. The data sheet says the gun inlet pressure should be 45-55 psi, 10psi at the cap, the gun says 28psi max, 10.4 max at the cap. I set the gun up at 50psi, with luid control almost wide open, and the jan wide out open. At these setings, it was stripping like crazy, and going thru the paint, so I made some adjustments, with the luide control and jan, and dropped air pressure. I'm proved quite a bite, so I'm thinking I need to set the inlet pressure to 25-28psi, readjust the jan and luide control as needed, and respray, to check. Does this sound correct? Now or the basecoat, it looks good or my irst time, but it does have a shine to it, not a gloss but a shine, not sure i this is correct, I thought it should be lat, not sure what it should be. As or the gun its a Habor reight, the proessional one.

Thanks.
    Pay no attention to the gun recommendations made by the PAINT manufacturer, they have no idea what gun you're using to apply the paint. Always read the recommendations by the GUN manufacturer. Most guns use an inlet pressure of between 25 and 35 PSI with the trigger pulled. Check out the Spray Gun Adjustments video at the top of the General Discussion Forum.

Different paint base coat products can give you different results so some gloss can be part of the Shopline characteristics. Your working with low cost paint and a low cost gun so your result may be less than perfect.

Thank you Len for the replies! I wasn't sure what to start with, so I started at the high side and worked down. I've watched the video more then a few times, all I can say you can read all you want, watch all you want, it's different ball game when you start painting. And only way to learn is by doing. This is fun, I like it, just can't want to get decent at painting, this was a good experience. Also my "F" button on my lab top at home doesn't work.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Len for the replies! I wasn't sure what to start with, so I started at the high side and worked down. I've watched the video more then a few times, all I can say you can read all you want, watch all you want, it's different ball game when you start painting. And only way to learn is by doing. This is fun, I like it, just can't want to get decent at painting, this was a good experience. Also my "F" button on my lab top at home doesn't work.

Thanks.
    Just be sure to wear the proper protection, these new paints with hardeners are quite dangerous to breath.

I have a mask, if I do very much of this. I will try to get the hobby air setup, I'm not liking that part of the painting. What are your thoughts about water bourne paints? Are they any good?

Thanks.

I have a mask, if I do very much of this. I will try to get the hobby air setup, I'm not liking that part of the painting. What are your thoughts about water bourne paints? Are they any good?

Thanks.
    The greatest danger is with primers, clears and single stage paints because they are the coatings that are mixed with hardener. Many base coat products and waterborne paints are not as dangerous but you still need to protect yourself from them.

I have a mask, if I do very much of this. I will try to get the hobby air setup,
    You need to protect your skin (and eyes) from the spray also. Not just your lungs.