TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are people not using the pneumatic polisher/grinders?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    A good tool for buffing in tight places or small parts is a 3" pneumatic polisher. My helper loves this tool and uses it whenever he can.

I purchased this unit from Len and used on two bike's tanks & fenders so far, worked great. I used a combo of hand sanding and my 6" DA up to 5000 then the 3M PerfectIt (sp?) with the 3" H&L pads and it worked great.

for me any time you put weight or pressure on it it slows down and dont maintain RPM like my makita,
    makita also has a slow start to help not burn your paint

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    for me any time you put weight or pressure on it it slows down and dont maintain RPM like my makita,
    ALL pneumatic buffers loose RPMs when pressure is applied to the pad. The better electric buffers have more torque and maintain their speed when pressure is applied.

I always thought the slow start was to keep from flingning the compound everywhere but the spot you want to buff and throwing it out of the pad.

I have had a Makita 9227C for at least 10 years and it is my go to buffer. I also have an air buffer that is the type I used for at least a couple decades that worked just fine. In some ways you can get more control with an air buffer than the Makita but the best all around buffer is a good quality name brand electric buffer. Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee (and a couple European made buffers).

Default Good item, Bad item...

A good tool for buffing in tight places or small parts is a 3" pneumatic polisher. My helper loves this tool and uses it whenever he can.

Looks are SO deceiving. The set Len shows is a GOOD ITEM, however, I bought one and got burnt.

Part of our kitchen remodel a few years back was a new stainless steel sink that I had to order. When it came it looked on the dull side like a film. After installation, I did not like the finish in that sink and it was good stainless not the lesser quality. I remember seeing the similar 'looking' tool at Har Frt on sale for $20. I bought one to use on the sink. Use some stainless polish, brought the air hose in and this thing had a hard time just swirling around the wet polish. I leaned on it just a little and would you believe it quit.

I was so pissed, I wanted to run it over but I brought it back, thrown in a bag. They smiled as they refunded me. Was so annoyed I took the sink out too. That was a special order from Home Depot. JUNK! How I hate buying JUNK.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Looks are SO deceiving. The set Len shows is a GOOD ITEM, however, I bought one and got burnt.

Part of our kitchen remodel a few years back was a new stainless steel sink that I had to order. When it came it looked on the dull side like a film. After installation, I did not like the finish in that sink and it was good stainless not the lesser quality. I remember seeing the similar 'looking' tool at Har Frt on sale for $20. I bought one to use on the sink. Use some stainless polish, brought the air hose in and this thing had a hard time just swirling around the wet polish. I leaned on it just a little and would you believe it quit.

I was so pissed, I wanted to run it over but I brought it back, thrown in a bag. They smiled as they refunded me. Was so annoyed I took the sink out too. That was a special order from Home Depot. JUNK! How I hate buying JUNK.

Henry
    I have a friend who is very frugal and tells me that the only things he buys from Harbor Freight are items with no moving parts. He said that it took him years of buying and returning items before he realized the aggravation wasn't worth the money.

i hear you, hf is a real crap shoot. i have to say though, i use their die grinders daily. i do stainless tube frames for a friends business. mirror polish stuff. i use the crap out of those grinders. buy them for 10-20 bucks each depending on the model, or if they're on sale. i swear, they last for years with very little oiling or care.
    don't get me wrong, i hate junk tools too, and i make my living with tools, but if you find something that works, why not?
    b marler

Default At what cost?

I have a friend who is very frugal and tells me that the only things he buys from Harbor Freight are items with no moving parts. He said that it took him years of buying and returning items before he realized the aggravation wasn't worth the money.
    Harbor Freight started for me back in the 70's when a buddy got a catalog. We never had stores and now we have one 15 miles away for the past 6 years. Not too much I can buy there. Last time in the store and cringing in the aisles as I saw wool & foam buffing pads. I could not even touch one for fear my paint would be burnt if I went back out to my car. There are FOR SURE certain things you just don't skimp on. I did buy a die grinder in '74 that I still use today.

So, at what cost is an actual item you really can use? Those buffing/polishing pads no doubt would have caused me problems so what cost would be associated with damage they caused me and the expense to FIX THINGS. Gravity feed spray guns from $9.99 to 39.99 to pour base coat in that cost $86.00 a quart PLUS clear $$$. Sorry but certain things should not be bought at HF.

Thank you for the assortment of Devilbiss spray guns I own thanks to you and this site you've given us.

Henry

So what do you guys use when a full size polisher is too big? Just wondering.

I have a regular size Dewalt that I use for the hulls of my boats but I use the little 3" 3M pads on my little motorcycle tank projects.

One of those random orbital Rupes or something similar?

Default RE: Why are people not using the pneumatic polisher/grinders?

I asked a professional auto detailer about it once and he said he didn't like the extra noise of a pneumatic buffer. When you consider the noise of the buffer and compressor combined it isn't very hard to see why alot people don't like the pneumatic buffers. The fact that you have to have a large (read expensive) compressor to be able to use a pneumatic buffer and other air tools and not over work the compressor doesn't help either.

I have the CP mini polisher kit like Len sells and I have a Harbor Freight mini polisher. I honestly reach for the Harbor Freight one every time and haven't used the CP polisher kit in several years. I actually prefer the Harbor Freight one over the CP mini polisher. I had the CP mini DA kit also and ended up giving it away to a buddy of mine, it was more trouble that it was worth for sanding.