TheCoatingStore.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just bought an 05 Chevy Equinox LT.

Getting ready to prep and paint the front bumper cover, the instruction sticker says to scuff with 1000 grit sand paper. What is the best technique, do I go in circles or straight lines, both?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Getting ready to prep and paint the front bumper cover, the instruction sticker says to scuff with 1000 grit sand paper. What is the best technique, do I go in circles or straight lines, both?

Thank you.
    It doesn't matter as long as the surface is scratched evenly. On most bumpers you'll need to sand in many different directions in order to get an even scratch all over the surface to be painted.

Thanks Len, now I have another question. The guy at the paint store says, he scuffs the bumper with a red scotch pad, sprays on Bulldog, then paint. Does this sound correct, or should I just scuff, then paint?

Thanks.

Chad.

Thanks Len, now I have another question. The guy at the paint store says, he scuffs the bumper with a red scotch pad, sprays on Bulldog, then paint. Does this sound correct, or should I just scuff, then paint?

Thanks.

Chad.
    If you're spraying on bare plastic you definitely want an adhesion promoter before you apply paint. If the bumper is already painted then adhesion promoter is normally not required. I'm not a scuff pad fan for surfaces that are on the exterior of the vehicle, I use them in door jambs, under lids, in engine compartments etc. but the scratch is not as consistent as sandpaper and, depending on the paint, you could get visible scratches in the finished product.

The bumper does have primer on it, but I broke through it sanding it. I'm thinking I should scuff with 1000, spray sealer, then paint, and clear. When I did my test piece, I used red scotch brite, and I could see the scratches, and that's why he says sprays on Bulldog, to hide the scratches.

Thanks.

The bumper does have primer on it, but I broke through it sanding it. I'm thinking I should scuff with 1000, spray sealer, then paint, and clear. When I did my test piece, I used red scotch brite, and I could see the scratches, and that's why he says sprays on Bulldog, to hide the scratches.

Thanks.
    I don't have enough experience with Bulldog to know if it would hide scuff pad scratches. I didn't think it had enough film thickness.

You should use flex additive in the coatings that have a hardener added.

Just updating this thread. Final pics of paint work.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Chad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks grood to me! You said your kids going to drive it right? Nicer than anything I ever drove.
    Avid collector of rust!

Default Chad...

Just updating this thread. Final pics of paint work.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Chad.
    Proud of you dude! You fought the variables and the elements and look what you did. Nice job and special because it's for your daughter and it will be the car "my 'daddy' built for me." Good job.

Henry

Thank you guys for the kind words, it means a lot to me.

Chad.