TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Completely new to rust repair and need advice

Question Completely new to rust repair and need advice

So first off I've never really done any auto body repair, I pay more attention and spend more time on power train related things.
    I'm not concerned about the way that the finished product turns out as it's in my trunk and my car is rough around the edges anyways (I'm fine with that). But I am concerned about this ever spreading rust.
    The rust is on the rear section of the wheel well, and is spreading to the portion attached to my coil-overs separate pieces) which has me concerned.
    Just wondering if this is a fixable issue, and how one would go about fixing this.

If this job was in our shop we would grind it clean, removing the paint and loose rusted metal then we would probably use a die grinder to cut away the damaged metal, roughly where I marked in red. We would then make a paper pattern of the hole and transfer it to a piece of metal and cut it out to either overlap the hole or to butt weld it to fill the hole. In this case the backing strip method would work well because you wouldn't need to have a tight fit for butt welding and the patch could be done using several pieces of metal instead of just one. When the welding is finished we would grind any rough spots and sand the patch and surrounding areas then apply a fiberglass filler, level it then prime and paint.

Backing strip method LINK

Wow that was extremely informative thanks a lot for your post. Structurally speaking, would grinding into the metal holding the coil overs weaken the area? Also would you strongly disagree with riveting the new piece of metal in place? (I don't have access to a welder).

Quote Originally Posted by 99dohc View Post
    Wow that was extremely informative thanks a lot for your post. Structurally speaking, would grinding into the metal holding the coil overs weaken the area? Also would you strongly disagree with riveting the new piece of metal in place? (I don't have access to a welder).
    I would think that removing the damaged metal and riveting a new piece in place could cause some structural problems. You could give it a try but you would need to keep an eye on it to make sure that the stress isn't causing distortions in the surrounding metal.

No matter which way you go you'll want to use a decent sealer to stop moisture from getting between the old and new metal. It appears that is what caused the original problem.