TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Welding Improvement

Default Welding Improvement

We've been MIG welding for a long time and, while our work has always been satisfactory, the welds weren't as pretty as I would have liked. One way that we fixed this was to hire a welder that would come in when we had a lot of welding to do and he would bring his mask and gloves and use our welding equipment and his welds were always perfect. This bugged me for awhile and I decided to spend a couple dollars and get a decent mask/helmet and boy did that change things, my bodyman went from a passable welder to an excellent welder overnight. The mask is an "auto-darkening" helmet that goes from clear to dark in 1/30,000 of a second so that you can see the work clearly before you pull the trigger AND while you're welding. If you plan on doing any welding this is a great tool to have.

I use one of those and you are right. For mine I also put 250 dioptre lenses in it so I can weld without my normal glasses that are bifocal. I don't have to move my head around to get things in focus.

Bob K

Default Anyone ue this...

Wonder what you guys have to say about this light? Does it work well in helping to see or is it just a new toy?

Henry

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=BWELD

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Wonder what you guys have to say about this light? Does it work well in helping to see or is it just a new toy?

Henry

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=BWELD
    I haven't used this type of light but I would think it could come in real handy in areas that need welding that can't be lit by room lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The mask is an "auto-darkening" helmet that goes from clear to dark in 1/30,000 of a second so that you can see the work clearly before you pull the trigger AND while you're welding. If you plan on doing any welding this is a great tool to have.
    Don't trust the specs, especially if the lens comes from China. It's not really important whether this one you purchased is from China or not.
    The best thing I learned about using auto-darkening hoods is to blink your eyes at the moment the arc starts. It is cheap insurance for your eyes.

i own something similar to this, this light is worth its money...it makes a big difference in visibility and precision of welding in low lit areas...i use it all the time in fact...it is simple, if you can see what you are doing better , you will produce better results, in this case, my welds have better penetration and correct height so i dont spend a lot of time grinding...it also helps welding realllyyy thin metal, ie, korean manufacturers....

Auto Darkening Helmet...in my opinion...would never weld without one. I do have a question about the light that attaches to the gun. I think they would really be an improvement. I have always wondered if the activate the dark lens on an autodarken helmet or the helmet is non activated with this welding aid (light focused on the wire) until the flash?

I have always wondered about them too. So I taped a spot flash light, one of them little mini ones, on my helmet. I can tell you its pretty awesome. I have not graduated to the one that snaps on the gun but I would think it might be worth the money. If you have any doubts, try the flash light method. It more difficult to get the flashlight taped in the right position to spot your weld puddle, but is easier than I thought it would be. Point is, it lets you try before you invest in the one your looking at.

This is my helmet of choice, I do not like the auto darks at all. I have tried many of them, cheap, expensive, I just don't like them.

http://www.accustrike.com/accu.htm

I am on my second one after many years with the first. I has a large viewing area, I am in control of when it lightens or darkens. It's not nearly as "odd" as you think when you first see it. I don't even think about it, doesn't take even a millisecond for me to think about it. I can use it all day long and not get tired of it, it's really a neat idea.

The lens with it open is clear, so you don't need a light. You can open it all the way so it stays open just as easy too, and then you have a helmet for grinding.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

If your making a long weld and spotting, you have to open the lens for every spot to place the stinger where you want it? I learned on an auto darkening helmet and it seemed easier to me than having to place the welding wire where you want it, knock down the hood, and repeat every time you pull the trigger. I can definitely see your helmet being great for making a series of welds by pulling or pulling the puddle on thicker metal. But sheet metal........where you spot, move, spot, move, spot, move..........?

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    This is my helmet of choice, I do not like the auto darks at all. I have tried many of them, cheap, expensive, I just don't like them.

http://www.accustrike.com/accu.htm

I am on my second one after many years with the first. I has a large viewing area, I am in control of when it lightens or darkens. It's not nearly as "odd" as you think when you first see it. I don't even think about it, doesn't take even a millisecond for me to think about it. I can use it all day long and not get tired of it, it's really a neat idea.

The lens with it open is clear, so you don't need a light. You can open it all the way so it stays open just as easy too, and then you have a helmet for grinding.

Brian
    I'm sorry to say that I purchased one of those after you recommended it a long time ago but I could never get it to work for me so I purchased an auto-darkening and I've been using it for over a year and love it. I purchased a fairly inexpensive one shown below and it's been a real help with our welding. I probably wouldn't have bought one of these but I had a helper that worked for me part time who brought in his and I liked it so much that I got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw56 View Post
    If your making a long weld and spotting, you have to open the lens for every spot to place the stinger where you want it? I learned on an auto darkening helmet and it seemed easier to me than having to place the welding wire where you want it, knock down the hood, and repeat every time you pull the trigger. I can definitely see your helmet being great for making a series of welds by pulling or pulling the puddle on thicker metal. But sheet metal........where you spot, move, spot, move, spot, move..........?
    You aren't pulling down the hood, you are letting it go down with your chin. I do this for a living, I have welded entire rears of cars, trunk floor, quarters, rear body, did the whole thing with that helmet.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'm sorry to say that I purchased one of those after you recommended it a long time ago but I could never get it to work for me so I purchased an auto-darkening and I've been using it for over a year and love it. I purchased a fairly inexpensive one shown below and it's been a real help with our welding. I probably wouldn't have bought one of these but I had a helper that worked for me part time who brought in his and I liked it so much that I got one.

They aren't for everyone, but damn I love it! Every time I have to use an auto darkening one I can't stand it.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

I understand how your chin is lowered to change lens. Since I have never used one, I honesly should not be guessing on chin vs autodark. Maybe I might have to give one a go.