TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My First ever go at bodywork and repaint

Aftermarket from LMC truck, the CAPA certified one. It was around $750 to my door

Hard to tell but got my gaps and edges all even and welded it up today. Grinded the welds down smooth. There was a small bevel or ding in the panel im working on fixing. Using Quantum to level it off. It was hot today so it was curing fast and i was rushed to get it on the panel. Didnt get quite enough material on so ill have to add another layer tomorrow.

Guide coat low spots after using the quantum.

It looks like you're taking too much off. When you start to see metal around the dent stop sanding and either apply more filler or prime it.

Most of it was because i sanded off the e coat to bare metal with the 80 grit rather quickly, and this was before applying the quantum. Its a pretty thin coating on there. I blocked with 180. However i feel like my hand can manipulate the block im using to much depending on where i apply pressure.

Whats a good block for large areas like the bedside?

Quote Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
    Most of it was because i sanded off the e coat to bare metal with the 80 grit rather quickly, and this was before applying the quantum. Its a pretty thin coating on there. I blocked with 180. However i feel like my hand can manipulate the block im using to much depending on where i apply pressure.

Whats a good block for large areas like the bedside?
    If the damage is larger you'll want a longer block or board to sand it. Check out the one's below, I linked them to the store where you can see the prices.

All the DuraBlocks work well with the Indasa Roll Sandpaper linked below.

I have the 4400 and i feel like its to thin. Ill give it another go today and guide coat, then go from there. Thanks

Hard to tell but got my gaps and edges all even and welded it up today. Grinded the welds down smooth. There was a small bevel or ding in the panel im working on fixing. Using Quantum to level it off. It was hot today so it was curing fast and i was rushed to get it on the panel. Didnt get quite enough material on so ill have to add another layer tomorrow.

Guide coat low spots after using the quantum.
    you should have left it alone painted it and pdr it,your causeing yourself a headache that will never be right for nothing.. body filler is a last resort..

Nvm figured out what pdr was lol

The bedside was like a crease in the metal. I tried tapping it out some from the backside but it never went back flush and left a slightly uneven surface in that spot.

Got the bedside smoothed out perfect

And dont ask how but i managed to hit the end with my 5lb maul one day. Got the dent out but had to level the surface off

Pdr? Not sure what that is
    Paintless dent repair..

Monster Miata Dent Repair San Diego | Glue Pull |: http://youtu.be/cY4TZkNfKLk

Not my video just an example i fix soft ball size hail allday long and misc size dents using this method..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Paintless dent repair..

Monster Miata Dent Repair San Diego | Glue Pull |…: http://youtu.be/cY4TZkNfKLk

Not my video just an example i fix soft ball size hail allday long and misc size dents using this method..
    HS has a glue puller for small dents and it just so happens I have one in stock. This tool sells for $316. but I'll sell this brand new tool for $100 off plus shipping. I only have ONE so call for it at 1-609-859-3670.

I would but thats the only body work i had to do besides paint rock chips. Thanks for the great offer though!

I would but thats the only body work i had to do besides paint rock chips. Thanks for the great offer though!
    No, this wasn't directed toward you, you've already committed to filler. This is for anyone else who might find interest in this thread and have a need for a glue puller.

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Paintless dent repair..

Monster Miata Dent Repair San Diego | Glue Pull |: http://youtu.be/cY4TZkNfKLk

That was crazy. I'd of never guessed PDR would work on that.
    Avid collector of rust!

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    That was crazy. I'd of never guessed PDR would work on that.
    Most PDR jobs are for correcting hail damage and door dings, repairing a dent that size is usually done using the old straighten, fill, prime and paint method. The PDR method of repairing a dent that size takes a lot more experience and talent and it's rare that that much damage doesn't also damage the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Most PDR jobs are for correcting hail damage and door dings, repairing a dent that size is usually done using the old straighten, fill, prime and paint method. The PDR method of repairing a dent that size takes a lot more experience and talent and it's rare that that much damage doesn't also damage the paint.
    Its not rare at all on factory paint i just fixed a crease on a roof on the bodyline 2014 malibu damage from hail grapefruit size it was 16long 5 wide and 1 inch deep it came out 98% in the sun or regular garage you see nothing it looks perfect,now under my led lights you see light blemishes in the orange peel..

I need to put some pics..