TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 92

Thread: My First ever go at bodywork and repaint

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
    Thats true. Fixing to go shoot the backside with epoxy primer. Should i mix it normal or as a sealer?
    A couple of coats of epoxy primer mixed as a primer or a couple of coats of Zero Rust will do the job.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Just shot the backside with 4 coats of dplf epoxy primer, had to start out with a light tack coat at first then put the next ones on wet.

    While im at it should i put a coat of paint on it or is the epoxy more than enough? Using Utech 3.8

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
    Just shot the backside with 4 coats of dplf epoxy primer, had to start out with a light tack coat at first then put the next ones on wet.

    While im at it should i put a coat of paint on it or is the epoxy more than enough? Using Utech 3.8
    Four coats of epoxy primer should be enough protection.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I ended up shooting a wet coat of paint just because it was killing me to try out the Utech, and i ended up with 2 gallons of it. It sprayed nice and covered well, but my epoxy didnt lay on smooth so the finished product has a good bit of orange peel.

    Btw, how the heck do you guys keep dust from contaminating the surface between coats with SS? I wet the floor, had the fans in the room setup for negative pressure inside to suck air out, blew it off, whole room is lined in plastic liner, wore a suit and painting head mask, tack clothed it thoroughly. So it must be landing between coats. Guess ill start looking into renting a nice booth for the full spray if this dust keeps up.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,549

    Default

    In many cases orange peel is created by using a gun that doesn't atomize well.

    In most cases dust will either come from the surface you're painting or from your clothing. Be sure you clean the surface well by blowing it off then wipe it down with grease and wax remover then, right before you start spraying, wipe it with a tack cloth. But before you start cleaning the surface be sure to blow off your coveralls or clothing. You'll always have a few dust specks but they can be removed by sanding or other methods then polished.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,679

    Default Dust or ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
    I ended up shooting a wet coat of paint just because it was killing me to try out the Utech, and i ended up with 2 gallons of it. It sprayed nice and covered well, but my epoxy didnt lay on smooth so the finished product has a good bit of orange peel.

    Btw, how the heck do you guys keep dust from contaminating the surface between coats with SS? I wet the floor, had the fans in the room setup for negative pressure inside to suck air out, blew it off, whole room is lined in plastic liner, wore a suit and painting head mask, tack clothed it thoroughly. So it must be landing between coats. Guess ill start looking into renting a nice booth for the full spray if this dust keeps up.
    You talking about "dust" or the large amount of overspray from shooting the paint? I think you were overly surprised at how much overspray can collect. If you had clouds of 'dust' as in DIRT then your surface would be like sandpaper.

    Proper ventilation, just high enough on the air pressure to get the paint PROPERLY out of the gun, the gun set-up, the gun and so on. What kind of GUN do you have (I forgot) and your compressor is? Keep going!

    Henry

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    There were a few fibers and dust particles. I know it was the primer that caused the orange peel because of the cheepo primer gun i used. For paint is the sagola 4500 with a 1.3 tip. Ive painted a few plastic trim pieces and it lays smooth as glass and looks almost as flat as a mirror! Compressor is 65 gallon, filter at the port on the wall and on the gun handle. Have a water separating contraption setup, never had any water get past it even when using my sandblaster for extended periods.

    I guess this gives me a good chance to practice sanding/buffing with my new goodies from len!

    The orange peel, ill get a shot of the dust particles today


  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I probably need to grind these spot welds down all the way around the bedside, what is the best way to protect this area from rusting? I will be having to weld the new bedside to this


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    873

    Default

    I'm interested to see what the pros have to say. My method has been weld through primer and seam sealer. But anywhere there is a weld you can't completely seal around is a spot for rust in my book.

    Also in the primers I use I can mix my epoxy as a sealer, but I don't feel it lays down as smooth as the dedicated sealer I also use. So I've gone to using a dedicated sealer vs using my epoxy primer as a sealer. Now a higher end epoxy primer may work better. I always shoot sealer through my basecoat gun.

    I'm also gonna agree with Henry. If that truck was in my area of the country the wheel wells would have been full of rust.
    Avid collector of rust!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
    I probably need to grind these spot welds down all the way around the bedside, what is the best way to protect this area from rusting? I will be having to weld the new bedside to this
    I would grind down the spot welds and use a weld-thru primer, that's about it. The only additional thing you can do is to use a seam sealer on the exterior seams. to help keep some of the moisture out. If the panel you're attaching has a nice edge you should be able to punch some holes and "plug weld" it on, this usually looks a lot better than welding along the edge of the panel. Then grind down the welds before priming and painting.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Im heading outta town for a few weeks, to be continued...

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,679

    Default Before you go...

    Quote Originally Posted by DieseLife View Post
    Im heading outta town for a few weeks, to be continued...
    Don't leave any bare metal. Have a good time.

    Henry

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Finally got back to it today and geinded down the old spot welds.

    I guess i will need a direct to metal weld thru primer to spray over the bare metal area before the new panel goes on?


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I sanded down all the old welds and put on 2 coats of weld through primer. Then put the new panel in place. Just need to drill a bunch of holes to plug weld the new panel on with my mig. Theres one small bevel in the panel i need to fix with some Quantum and block it.



  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Looking good! You put on a new dodge panel or aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand?

    - Jeremy
    Avid collector of rust!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •