TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Other Projects I worked on (Henry you asked.lol)

Hybrid View

Default Other Projects I worked on (Henry you asked.lol)

Hey Henry since you wanted some more pics of stuff I worked on here you go.

A guy I knew from cruising nights and other Tri5 owners (we are tight now) kept asking me to take a look at how his Nova clip was done on his truck. I told him when he takes the front sheet metal off and pull the engine to call me and I will take a look. Well, he finally did as I requested and man this thing is a mess I did not expect anything this bad. The clip is installed crooked, ugly, different thickness of metals it looks like the guy that installed it used whatever was in the backyard. I really don't like working on other people rides but this is a older gentleman who was taken advantage of I fix it for him.
    Here are some pictures of what I had to deal with. I cannot believe he paid the guy who did this

I cut all the ugly stuff off the subframe and then my camera broke before I could take a pic of the cleaned up subframe.lol It does not like looking at this either.lol I should be finished next week and I will post pics of what I do.

The first order of business was to cut out the ugly on the frame and the subframe.

I leveled the frame and built a jig so that I cut the clip out and get it ready for the re-install. Man I really wanted to just rebuild the frame rails and install an after market kit, but he wants the nova clip, just installed correctly.

After I measure 50 different time for the wheelbase and to insure everything was square, (I even put the front sheetmetal on to see if I liked how the wheels looked in the wheel well). I used a cardboard template to make a filler piece.

The filler pieces tacked in.

I measured everything again and even put the front sheetmetal back for a final check before welding it in. This side filler box is complete. I will eventually box the frame back to the cab mount and add gussets.

This is what the clip looks like now

This is the truck put back together and the stance

Default Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by bam55 View Post
    Hey Henry since you wanted some more pics of stuff I worked on here you go.

A guy I knew from cruising nights and other Tri5 owners (we are tight now) kept asking me to take a look at how his Nova clip was done on his truck. I told him when he takes the front sheet metal off and pull the engine to call me and I will take a look. Well, he finally did as I requested and man this thing is a mess I did not expect anything this bad. The clip is installed crooked, ugly, different thickness of metals it looks like the guy that installed it used whatever was in the backyard. I really don't like working on other people rides but this is a older gentleman who was taken advantage of I fix it for him.
    Here are some pictures of what I had to deal with. I cannot believe he paid the guy who did this
    Thank you for the pics of more projects. Always nice to see. I don't like the area the frame had to messed with on the yellow truck. Lots of stress in that area. Good job.

Henry

Beautiful work Bam, I can tell you really enjoy getting into the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Thank you for the pics of more projects. Always nice to see. I don't like the area the frame had to messed with on the yellow truck. Lots of stress in that area. Good job.

Henry
    Thanks for asking and being interested. Yeah I wanted to just rebuild the frame rails on the yellow truck and install an aftermarket unit, but the owner wanted the Nova Clip. So I installed in a very safe manner and used gussets to add strength to the vertical weld area (you should never leave a vertical weld area unenforced) and boxed it back to the cab mounts. But it did take some thought installing in a cosmetically pleasing and safe manner. The guy who did the first install should not be allowed to work on cars and from what I hear he did a lot of IFS installs. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Beautiful work Bam, I can tell you really enjoy getting into the details.
    Yeah I love hotrodding and working on them. Its a true passion of mine.
    Last edited by bam55; 03-17-2015 at 07:12 PM.