TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What's SO Good About BC/CC?

Default What's SO Good About BC/CC?

I am a relative newbie hobbyist, but I did successfully shoot a car 2 years ago with ss urethane and I have several jobs ahead of me.

My question is- are there any advantages to using bc/cc urethanes when shooting solid colors? It just seems to me like more work, and more work if you have to repair or reshoot? And isn't there a danger of clearcoat lifting eventually , especially in harsh Florida sun/heat?

What am I missing?

Rick

Single stage will just start fading,so every paint has its ups and downs.

Default let me ask you

Quote Originally Posted by rs899
    I am a relative newbie hobbyist, but I did successfully shoot a car 2 years ago with ss urethane and I have several jobs ahead of me.

My question is- are there any advantages to using bc/cc urethanes when shooting solid colors? It just seems to me like more work, and more work if you have to repair or reshoot? And isn't there a danger of clearcoat lifting eventually , especially in harsh Florida sun/heat?

What am I missing?

Rick
    when is the last time you saw a factory bc/cc job with peeling paint; say over the last 10 years or so. I don't mean from the early 90's?
    I think, for myself, that the clearcoat repair itself is easier than SS. Not talking about getting into the color. But keep in mind you can blend a lot better with bc than you ever will with SS. Blends are a big deal.
    For you? Hey, if you got solid color jobs to do and you make them flow well and look great then don't spend the money on the bc/cc systems. Just make sure we are talking SS URETHANE; not AE with hardener. Henry

Henry-

Well, no I haven't seen any cases of clearcoat lifting on newer cars, now that you mention it.

So you are saying clearcoat repair is easier than SS urethane repair? Hmmm. OK .

But what if it's something like rust that pops through from behind? Now you have to shoot twice again. But you say you can blend that repair better with BC/CC?

As for fading, can you not just rebuff and get down further into the paint on SS Urethane?
    Are you saying BC/CC is immune from fading?

Help me understand...its not really a question of money, just ease of use.

Rick
    Last edited by rs899; 08-04-2006 at 07:22 AM.

yes, bc/cc will resist fading much better than SS. in my opinion, the advantage for a beginner is that you can take all day, and get the base just right. if your metallic has stripes, you can fix it. if you missed a spot, you can look closely. I like sherwin williams base because it gives you 7 days before it has to be cleared. then when youre all ready, you can clear it

Quote Originally Posted by rs899
    Henry-

Well, no I haven't seen any cases of clearcoat lifting on newer cars, now that you mention it.

So you are saying clearcoat repair is easier than SS urethane repair? Hmmm. OK .

But what if it's something like rust that pops through from behind? Now you have to shoot twice again. But you say you can blend that repair better with BC/CC?

As for fading, can you not just rebuff and get down further into the paint on SS Urethane?
    Are you saying BC/CC is immune from fading?

Help me understand...its not really a question of money, just ease of use.

Rick
    Rick
    If you use a decent name brand paint and use their better products properly, you won't have a problem with the clear peeling.

Clear will hold up better than single stage paint in the harsh sun environment.

Clear is easier to repair properly because you can blend the color then clear the entire panel. It may seem like more work but, because you're not "panel painting, the match is usually better the first time around.

If you are spraying a metallic then you should absolutely go with a base/clear because it's easier to apply evenly. Single stage metallics are usually much more difficult to apply so that the color comes out without dark (mottled) areas.

As far as ease of use is concerned the base/clear can take a little longer to apply but because you're applying your color (coverage) then your clear (gloss) in separate steps you will tend to make less errors. When you apply single stage you're trying to achieve coverage at the same time you are trying to achieve a smooth finish and it can take more skill than bc/cc.

Since you did say solid colors I agree use SSU. I don't think fading is a problem at all as long as you take care of it .Clear coat can look like crap too if you don't take of it.

Solid colors I would use SSU and don't worry about it. Of course that is just my opinion but it is shared by many.

Mooch

Default The cons of bc/cc

As far as clear fading I'd say that it holds out longer than single stage when you use good quality materials. My biggest complaint about the application of two stage paint is that the wet paint is "in dust" a lot longer because you're putting two layers on instead of one and you can collect more dust and bugs than you would with single stage AND since you're spraying longer you have more chances of making a mistake.