TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: From 1987 Dupont Fleet Chart -- ID This Red?

Default From 1987 Dupont Fleet Chart -- ID This Red?

Hi fellers,

A long-time back burner project is back on the front burner with an upcoming competition as the motivating goal this time. To finish my part, all I need is a quart o' paint.

The existing topcoats are cut 'n' buffed Centari, which we in Southern California can no longer get, but a friend in Nevada can. He's offered to help, but I could use a little help from you guys too. My last can o' Centari is gone and I don't know the code number. I do recall however, that this bright, solid red was on a two-page DuPont fleet color chart from 1987. Of course, I can't find that chart either. Does anyone here happen to have such a chart? Or, can anyone here steer me toward one?

I'm not real keen on shippin' a finished body part for a match. This red does or at least did have a formula. If I could get my hands on that chart, I'd be home free.

Thanks,

RR
    Last edited by RottenRodney; 11-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RottenRodney View Post
    Hi fellers,

A long-time back burner project is back on the front burner with an upcoming competition as the motivating goal this time. To finish my part, all I need is a quart o' paint.

The existing topcoats are cut 'n' buffed Centari, which we in Southern California can no longer get, but a friend in Nevada can. He's offered to help, but I could use a little help from you guys too. My last can o' Centari is gone and I don't know the code number. I do recall however, that this bright, solid red was on a two-page Dupont fleet color chart from 1987. Of course, I can't find that chart either. Does anyone here happen to have such a chart? Or, can anyone here steer me toward one?

I'm not real keen on shippin' a finished body part for a match. This red does or at least did have a formula. If I could get my hands on that chart, I'd be home free.

Thanks,

RR
    I have a lot of charts but not that one. Do you have a supplier that can scan it for you? That would probably be my first choice, then I would take that match and get it mixed in whatever products you want. I'll check with my supplier to see if he has that chart available.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I have a lot of charts but not that one. Do you have a supplier that can scan it for you? That would probably be my first choice, then I would take that match and get it mixed in whatever products you want. I'll check with my supplier to see if he has that chart available.
    "Scan?" I guess things 'ave changed since the early-'80s when I was the hot-tip color-matcher for chemical company name here in my hometown. Somehow I pulled it off. Recently however, I've been diagnosed color blind. Really!

Anyway, I got to digglin' 'round the garage today, and found some neat ol' stuff.

Like a wayback machine, these ol' Dupont books go -- you know -- wayback. Too far back though.

Then I found this here fleet chart, which ain't the one I remember, but it might do the job. I've had the speedster's doors wrapped up in foam for years. Here I've pulled one down into the sun and flipped up the edge o' the foam. That one looks a little orange to me, but I'm color blind.

I don't have a clue. I'm color blind. Maybe I'll drive the chart down to where the majority o' the project is and recruit some better eyeballs. It's a start, eh?

Thanks for y'all's help -- and by the way; it's good to be back home.

RR

I'm sure you have several suppliers in your area that can scan it for you. Then you can take their findings and get the paint you want. I do it once in a while and the result can be perfect. I would say DuPont would be best because they would probably have better access to the older information and could probably tie it exactly to one of those chips.

Or go to a DuPont supplier & look in the Spectra Master color charts. That has many shades of all colors.