TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Inside Truck bed

  1. #1

    Default Inside Truck bed

    How would you go about preparing inside truck bed for painting, it has paint now, do I use 2k paint or b/c paint, I will be using basecoat clear on rest of truck

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigge31566 View Post
    How would you go about preparing inside truck bed for painting, it has paint now, do I use 2k paint or b/c paint, I will be using basecoat clear on rest of truck
    Clean it well then scuff it good with a gray scuff pad then clean again and then use a grease and wax remover to do a final cleaning. I normally spray the bed with the same paint that I use on the rest of the truck.

    When I spray a truck I spray the inside of the bed and the roof of the cab first then mask them off and spray the rest of the truck. This allows me to spray the rest of the truck without having to climb over wet paint to get to hard to reach places. When I spray the inside of the bed I climb in and spray the front and sides then the floor as I back out then leave it for a day or two before masking and spraying the rest of the truck.

    I spray the roof first by climbing in the bed and using ladders if needed to reach all areas.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Clean it well then scuff it good with a gray scuff pad then clean again and then use a grease and wax remover to do a final cleaning. I normally spray the bed with the same paint that I use on the rest of the truck.

    When I spray a truck I spray the inside of the bed and the roof of the cab first then mask them off and spray the rest of the truck. This allows me to spray the rest of the truck without having to climb over wet paint to get to hard to reach places. When I spray the inside of the bed I climb in and spray the front and sides then the floor as I back out then leave it for a day or two before masking and spraying the rest of the truck.

    I spray the roof first by climbing in the bed and using ladders if needed to reach all areas.
    Speaking of this I just so happen to be painting my bed right now. Only I am doing exterior first and then inside when the weather returns to normal. This Wednesday might be the last day over 70 for some time. Since this is a 65 F-100, which has a large bed rail lip, this won't be a future problem.

    However, there is that bold print I ed. Since you paint the bed last as you walk out it sounds like there is only 1 coat of paint. I have been pondering this very thing since the three sides can easily get two coats of color but the bed...?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Speaking of this I just so happen to be painting my bed right now. Only I am doing exterior first and then inside when the weather returns to normal. This Wednesday might be the last day over 70 for some time. Since this is a 65 F-100, which has a large bed rail lip, this won't be a future problem.

    However, there is that bold print I ed. Since you paint the bed last as you walk out it sounds like there is only 1 coat of paint. I have been pondering this very thing since the three sides can easily get two coats of color but the bed...?
    That's right, I should have mentioned that if the paint doesn't cover well you can't do the bed floor in one coat and you'll need to spray multiple coats from the outside. The most difficult part of painting the bed properly from the outside is the walls which can be sprayed from the opposite side using a narrow gun pattern but care needs to be taken because it's real easy to generate runs using this method.

    Sometimes it's best to spray the first coat from the inside, allow the paint to flash then spray the any additional coats from the outside. This helps insure that all areas get painted and that first coat can help stop the paint from running if you let it dry enough before additional paint is applied.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Gresham, OR
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Depending how much work you're willing to do, the bed is usually easily removed at painting time. Just stand it upright if you have room and all you'll need is perhaps a stepladder if the bed is long enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •