TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1941 Schwinn Dx

Default 1941 Schwinn Dx

So I would like to maintain the bikes original paint, but some spot are pretty bad. My plan was to 1.Clean it, then try and neutralize the rust with Picklex
    2. Gently try and bring some life back to the paint.
    3.Clean the chrome.
    I assume its an enamel? What would be the best way to freshen up the paint?
    After that I would like to touch up the rusted spots with some enamel or whatever.
    I know there is only so much that can be done with what I have, just look for some good resto technique. In the end I will probably have a Rat rod looking bike! Thanks for the Help. Sean

There are a couple different ways of restoring that paint job. You could take detailed pictures of the existing patterns then strip and repaint or you could prep the surface then spray a thin white paint over the existing white so that the pattern would show through then mask off the pattern, prep and repaint the blue the pull off the masking material. You could also trace the pattern on paper then prep the surface and paint the dark color then trace the pattern back on top before masking and painting the white.

As far as matching the paint goes you can take part to your local auto body supplier and look at paint chips or have the original paint scanned so a computer can match it.

Any way that you choose to do the work you should probably strip the old paint off the surface then prime and repaint. Doing it this way is your best way to insure that the new paint will hold up well.

Hey Len

The main point I was getting at is to keep the original paint, just trying to stop the rust and maybe make it look better. Sean

Quote Originally Posted by 89Blaze View Post
    Hey Len

The main point I was getting at is to keep the original paint, just trying to stop the rust and maybe make it look better. Sean
    It all depends on the result that will make you happy. There isn't much you can do with paint that is peeling off the surface and rust needs to be stabilized then coated with something. Take pictures during your project so we can see how it progresses.

Yeah, that's what it all boils down to, peeling paint and rust, if it wasn't for the historian in me, I would blast the whole thing and repaint. But its made it 72 years with this paint on it and I'd like to keep it. Will update with pics. Thanks for your input Len. Sean

I have a 1959 Schwinn Corvette. Paint is kind of rough but not as much as yours. People are always saying to repaint it and take the dents out of the fenders. I just tell them that is part of the history of the bike. I love the oldies. Yours is great! Get some new rubber on it and ride it!

Quote Originally Posted by 89Blaze View Post
    Yeah, that's what it all boils down to, peeling paint and rust, if it wasn't for the historian in me, I would blast the whole thing and repaint. But its made it 72 years with this paint on it and I'd like to keep it. Will update with pics. Thanks for your input Len. Sean
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious -- the paint on that bike has not "made it" for the last 72 years. The paint has failed on at least 80% of the bike. That bike was not made to look rusty with peeling paint. It was made to look like it DID when it left the factory many years ago. I can understand trying to save paint that is dulled out and chrome that needs polishing but that is not the case with your bike. That bike NEEDS to be sandblasted and repainted and the the chrome parts re-chromed. Hell, if you want to ride around on a rusty bike then just pick one up at the local dump or metal recycling facility for free and ride it. My personal belief is that some people carry "original" way too far in wanting to keep rusty peeling painted object "original". If a person wants an old object original then make it look like it ORIGINALLY did when it left the factory brand new. I do understand originality in antiques and I absolutely applaud and appreciate an old antique that has been well taken care of and still looking great after all those years. Your bike is not in that category.

But then if it was left up to me I would probably have welded up the crack in the liberty bell. LOL.

I have a number of vintage bikes, I am with you Phil, I don't get wanting to leave it like that. But if I was, I wouldn't even think about it, I'd put tires on it and ride the darn thing as it is. To try and get it "a little better" makes no sense what so ever to me. Original is original, it's untouched original right now, leave it. What difference does it make to have those really rusted spots not there, get in a time machine and get it before those areas got so bad is about all you can do.

Ride it as it is and have fun, or totally restore it (plan on spending about $800+ at todays prices for chrome and paint materials) and have an OUTSTANDING piece of history as it was the day it rolled into the local Schwinn store.

Brian

I forgot I had this on here, I have to get it ready for August, going to the beach for a week. It needs a new front rim/tire/tube. On the ‘‘hardcore'' bike forums they definitely would disagree with you, for me, I'm going to clean it up a wee bit and ride it as is. Satisfying the little bit of Ratrod in me, lol. Will post back when she's a roller.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious -- the paint on that bike has not "made it" for the last 72 years. The paint has failed on at least 80% of the bike. That bike was not made to look rusty with peeling paint. It was made to look like it DID when it left the factory many years ago. I can understand trying to save paint that is dulled out and chrome that needs polishing but that is not the case with your bike. That bike NEEDS to be sandblasted and repainted and the the chrome parts re-chromed. Hell, if you want to ride around on a rusty bike then just pick one up at the local dump or metal recycling facility for free and ride it. My personal belief is that some people carry "original" way too far in wanting to keep rusty peeling painted object "original". If a person wants an old object original then make it look like it ORIGINALLY did when it left the factory brand new. I do understand originality in antiques and I absolutely applaud and appreciate an old antique that has been well taken care of and still looking great after all those years. Your bike is not in that category.

But then if it was left up to me I would probably have welded up the crack in the liberty bell. LOL.
    Take pictures of it like len said repaint it then use a projector and stripe in all the details, post pics as it comes along..

When your done put solid tubes on it,flats are a paineven though mines newer it still sucked till i did the swap it sid slow me down a bit with heavier tires but a bigger carb and gears should fix it i hope..CAM00419.jpgCAM00417.jpg
    If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?

You would be making a MAJOR mistake re-painting that bike.

Sell it to me.