TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Nason black base coat doesnt cover 400 grit scratches very well...

Default Nason black base coat doesnt cover 400 grit scratches very well...

I shot some Nason brand black base coat over some Nason 2K primer which was applied heavily and then blocked with 180 grit and then primed heavily again (I repeated that sequence multiple times) and then last heavy primer was sanded with 400 grit wet and then sealed. I can still see some sand scratches even after 2 coats of base.

Now I know the function of the base is not supposed to be for hiding stuff (no need to remind me about that) but you shouldn't be able to see 400 grit scratches under it.

Anybody else have that problem with Nason products? The car is a 1969 Camaro.

Anybody have some suggestion on what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebird View Post
    I shot some Nason brand black base coat over some Nason 2K primer which was applied heavily and then blocked with 180 grit and then primed heavily again (I repeated that sequence multiple times) and then last heavy primer was sanded with 400 grit wet and then sealed. I can still see some sand scratches even after 2 coats of base.

Now I know the function of the base is not supposed to be for hiding stuff (no need to remind me about that) but you shouldn't be able to see 400 grit scratches under it.

Most solid color bases will show almost any scratch more coarse than 800 but applying clear will almost always make things beautiful again.

Default Clear it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebird View Post

With a solid color you could have sanded with 600. I sand prior to paint with 400 and have no problems. If in doubt, clear a fender and look at the result. I believe your clear will cover the 400 scratch you are seeing and the job will be find. This assumes proper prep and decent clear.

Henry

Never sprayed Nason black before, but man with most black you could almost get away with spraying over 220.

I sprayed another light coat of base on and then cleared it. It turned out fine. I am working on getting some of the orange peel out of it now. Thanks guys!

Yeah basecoat can be a little decieving. Its amazing what clear can hide. Wetsanding clear sucks!