TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: for next time

Default for next time

I know how to fix this, but I am curious why I had these goofy dots all over. I have already sanded/buffed them all out. So this is more for next time. Do you think it's my cheap (under $100) spray gun)? Maybe I need to invest in a good good before I paint again. I have a halfway cheap water filter/dirt filter in the line...so maybe it's water? There is always plenty of water in my filter so I know it is at least working a little. Thanks, Mike

20130830_091317.jpg

The light colored specks look like dust and the dark colored craters look like they could be from dirty air and the roughness of the surface looks like it could be from the inexpensive spray gun. So better cleaning of the surface and the environment could help eliminate the dust, a better filter could help clean the air and a better gun can help you produce a smoother finish.

Thanks. I probably couldnt go wrong by getting a nicer gun. Maybe I will catch one of those pre-orders you do in the future. I should have been more clear about the pic....the specks are just rubbing compound or dust. It's just the craters that were the problem. This pic was taken of one spot I missed. I started to sand with 1500, then took the picture before I finished. I can only invest so much in my hobby before my wife wonders what I am doing. I'd like to do more painting, and I do have a few more cars/trucks to do. Probably take a break for now and get some nicer equipment in the future. I wish I could do this for money some day. But It will take a very long time to get good enough. And, I think I would be making below minimum wage at the speed I work.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The light colored specks look like dust and the dark colored craters look like they could be from dirty air and the roughness of the surface looks like it could be from the inexpensive spray gun. So better cleaning of the surface and the environment could help eliminate the dust, a better filter could help clean the air and a better gun can help you produce a smoother finish.

Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Thanks. I probably couldnt go wrong by getting a nicer gun. Maybe I will catch one of those pre-orders you do in the future. I should have been more clear about the pic....the specks are just rubbing compound or dust. It's just the craters that were the problem. This pic was taken of one spot I missed. I started to sand with 1500, then took the picture before I finished. I can only invest so much in my hobby before my wife wonders what I am doing. I'd like to do more painting, and I do have a few more cars/trucks to do. Probably take a break for now and get some nicer equipment in the future. I wish I could do this for money some day. But It will take a very long time to get good enough. And, I think I would be making below minimum wage at the speed I work.
    Your wife would probably be more agreeable if you painted something for her.