TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: thanks for your help!

Default thanks for your help!

Thanks Henry and Len (and everyone else) for your help. What you think?
    20130830_123605.jpg20130830_123627.jpg20130830_123637.jpg20130830_123654.jpg

Default Nice Work!

I wish my truck looked that good.

Default "HeartBeat"

You done good! Looks really good with your fender/bumper mods and paint changes.
    How much color and how much clear did it take? Looks like you put some new sneakers on too.
    You worked hard on this thing as we followed you and now you can drive it done.

Henry

Thanks Henry. It took about a gallon of base (mixed spray material). I was covering a black primer. It took all my clear I bought which was around 1.5 gallons mixed. Only gave me two coats on everything but the hood.
    I was so upset last night. I drove to a parking lot with lots of lights. Swirl marks everywhere! I noticed them in the direct sun also but were really bad under the lights. Went over the whole truck with some glaze with a random orbital buffer with microfiber pad. Seems to have done the trick but I won't know until I go back to that parking lot tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You done good! Looks really good with your fender/bumper mods and paint changes.
    How much color and how much clear did it take? Looks like you put some new sneakers on too.
    You worked hard on this thing as we followed you and now you can drive it done.

Henry

Default Self inflicted pain...

Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Thanks Henry. It took about a gallon of base (mixed spray material). I was covering a black primer. It took all my clear I bought which was around 1.5 gallons mixed. Only gave me two coats on everything but the hood.
    I was so upset last night. I drove to a parking lot with lots of lights. Swirl marks everywhere! I noticed them in the direct sun also but were really bad under the lights. Went over the whole truck with some glaze with a random orbital buffer with microfiber pad. Seems to have done the trick but I won't know until I go back to that parking lot tonight.
    There's a name for people who like to hurt themselves. Follow what Robert has taught us on detailing. Besides, from what you did when you began the prep process for the new paint, if the only thing you don't like is swirls then you're a hero.

How many paint sessions did you end up doing? Did you take the body off? Did you sand/buff the entire truck? What's next for you on the truck or other projects?

Henry

Hi Henry. I guess it would be 3. The take-off parts, then the horizontal parts (hood & roof), then the rest. Some extra taping and masking by doing the roof and hood separate but I think it was best for me. Whole truck was a beat up mess. Dents and nicks all over. It's my old work truck with 200K miles on it. It required more than some paint. Lots of primer and filler (maybe a bit too much filler). Next? Well I hope to finish that 79 Camaro some day. You've helped me with that before. Right now it still has compound all over the cracks. real mess. Remember all that trouble I had with buffing on that car? I didnt have that problem on this truck. Only difference was I used a different c/c brand. This time I used a real cheap one. It worked sooo much better that than the expensive c/c. We'll see if it lasts, but it buffed like a dream. Got too much other things going on in my life to mess with it for a couple months though.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    There's a name for people who like to hurt themselves. Follow what Robert has taught us on detailing. Besides, from what you did when you began the prep process for the new paint, if the only thing you don't like is swirls then you're a hero.

How many paint sessions did you end up doing? Did you take the body off? Did you sand/buff the entire truck? What's next for you on the truck or other projects?

Henry