TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1948 Firestone Outboard Engine Restoration

Default 1948 Firestone Outboard Engine Restoration

Project my cousin and I did over the weekend.

Default Good job...

Quote Originally Posted by turbocobra View Post
    Project my cousin and I did over the weekend.

You guys look alike. I was glad to see that he did a lot of the work. Usually, one does all the work while the other one watches. Came out nice and the 'hairspray/Kosher Salt' was done well. I never heard of that before. I'll take that old compressor as well.

Gary, you did a fantastic job with the editing of this video. Like to see Brian (MARTNSR) get into bringing us video. Hell, I still have hopes of Len being able to edit the miles of tape he has to create PAINTING 102. Anyway, it was fun to watch.

Henry

Thanks Henry. I spent a little more time on the editing, wanted to make it a nice video for Lamar. He is a welder by trade, and very mechanical and good with his hands, and a quick study. He has never done any paint and bodywork, but i wanted him to learn it, he is a natural. Wish I picked up on this as quick as he does. Like setting the gun up to blow paint down into tight spots around the cylinder and head of the motor. I adjusted the spray pattern all the way closed, turned the pressure and paint volume down some, handed him the gun, and he immediately found the soft feathering of the trigger between just air, and a light fog of air/paint, to full trigger and full paint flow. I didn't even show or tell him about it, he just felt it and went with it.

I talk too much on videos, trying to work on that. Everyone from experience paint and body experts, to beginners, to people that will never do paint / bodywork watch the videos on youtube. The experienced painters don't need to hear or see the details, because they already know this stuff, but sometimes i hear from people asking to make the videos longer or show more details... so it's hard to make everyone happy! lol

Would be awesome to see Len, Brian, and others on ABS make videos of their work. I can't tell you how many times you or others on here or youtube have seen me doing things wrong in a video, pointed it out, and helped me improve.

Quote Originally Posted by turbocobra View Post
    Thanks Henry. I spent a little more time on the editing, wanted to make it a nice video for Lamar. He is a welder by trade, and very mechanical and good with his hands, and a quick study. He has never done any paint and bodywork, but i wanted him to learn it, he is a natural. Wish I picked up on this as quick as he does. Like setting the gun up to blow paint down into tight spots around the cylinder and head of the motor. I adjusted the spray pattern all the way closed, turned the pressure and paint volume down some, handed him the gun, and he immediately found the soft feathering of the trigger between just air, and a light fog of air/paint, to full trigger and full paint flow. I didn't even show or tell him about it, he just felt it and went with it.

I talk too much on videos, trying to work on that. Everyone from experience paint and body experts, to beginners, to people that will never do paint / bodywork watch the videos on youtube. The experienced painters don't need to hear or see the details, because they already know this stuff, but sometimes i hear from people asking to make the videos longer or show more details... so it's hard to make everyone happy! lol

Would be awesome to see Len, Brian, and others on ABS make videos of their work. I can't tell you how many times you or others on here or youtube have seen me doing things wrong in a video, pointed it out, and helped me improve.
    Details are important in order to get your point across. I've refused to sell very popular videos because, after reviewing them, I saw that they left out a lot of important information. So far the only complaints I've gotten about the Spray Painting 101 Video are from people that didn't like the Gershwin music in the background.

Thanks Len,

I have your 101 video, thought it was good, and had alot of details. I liked your gun cleaning video also, it has gotten alot of views.