TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: guide coat

Default guide coat

Hello all. I've started on my next project instead of finishing my first. Anyway, on this one I have BLACK 2k Urth primer to work with that I will be doing some blocksanding with. I heard somewhere (maybe here) that white lacquer in a can would be ok to mist in it. I planned to just pick some up at walmart or something. Is that ok? Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Hello all. I've started on my next project instead of finishing my first. Anyway, on this one I have BLACK 2k Urth primer to work with that I will be doing some blocksanding with. I heard somewhere (maybe here) that white lacquer in a can would be ok to mist in it. I planned to just pick some up at walmart or something. Is that ok? Thanks
    Mike
    Yes you can use regular aerosol paint as guide coat BUT it will tend to clog your sandpaper because the paint is a lot thicker than products that are designed for that purpose. Dusting on a light aerosol coating would be good but if you could mix your own paint very thinly and spray it out of a spray gun it would probably have less tendency to clog the paper. Before paint manufacturers came out with guide coat in an aerosol we kept very thin paint in an old gun so that we could just pick it up and spray when it was needed.

Thanks Len. What about using a rattle can of cheap grey primer to mist over it? I would think that it may clog less (once dry), since it is made for sanding. What do you think? I guess I could just try it and see, as it would not be an expensive experiment.

Thanks Len. What about using a rattle can of cheap grey primer to mist over it? I would think that it may clog less (once dry), since it is made for sanding. What do you think? I guess I could just try it and see, as it would not be an expensive experiment.
    I've never used it but I would think that the aerosol primer would be better than aerosol paint for sanding.

What about using a rattle can of cheap grey primer to mist over it? .
    Cheap spray primer is all I ever used for years,
    the key is using a primer that's labeled "sand-able"
    I also use a guide coat by SEM that I really like but the
    only difference is the SEM sprays a nice wide even light coat.
    But they both sand the same.