TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Body filler over rust treatment

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Body filler over rust treatment

    I am restoring a 65 tbird and need to use some rust inhibitor on some areas and was wondering about using fiberglass resin, bondo glass, or body filler over the rust inhibitor. As you all know the instructions say you must take it down to bare metal prior to application of these products, but that seem counterproductive to remove the chemical to apply the product. Or at least it seems a waste to apply the rust inhibitor instead of just taking it down to bare metal to begin with. I hope I am making sense, if not ask for clarification. Thanks
    Last edited by 65 tbird; 07-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    27,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 65 tbird View Post
    I am restoring a 65 tbird and need to use some rust inhibitor on some areas and was wondering about using fiberglass resin, bondo glass, or body filler over the rust inhibitor. As you all know the instructions say you must take it down to bare metal prior to application of these products, but that seem counterproductive to remove the chemical to apply the product. Or at least it seems a waste to apply the rust inhibitor onstage of just taking it down to bare metal to begin with. I hope I am making sense, if not ask for clarification. Thanks
    You don't want to put filler over rust that hasn't been stabilized because it can cause the filler to release from the surface. We either blast the surface to remove the rust in pitted areas or we grind then treat the metal with Picklex 20 to stabilize the rust, we allow it to dry then scuff it with some 80 or 120 then apply the filler pushing it into the surface.

    If you use Picklex spray or brush it on and work it into the surface using a scuff pad then wipe off the excess with paper towels and allow it to dry before scuffing.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thanks for your reply. Just to clear the air, I would not ever think of putting filler over rust. Has anyone used a product called Correseal for rust conversion/ encapsulation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 65 tbird View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Just to clear the air, I would not ever think of putting filler over rust. Has anyone used a product called Correseal for rust conversion/ encapsulation.
    I use it all the time but not on cars. However, since I am anal and don't ever want the rust I am dealing with showing back up I use Corroseal, Red Zero Rust, Red Oxide Alkyd primer, catalyzed polyurethane in that order.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always told to use duraglass to make that area stronger then hit it with a little bondo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    27,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTCstud View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always told to use duraglass to make that area stronger then hit it with a little bondo
    If there's a chance that moisture would come through a seam then fiberglass filler is the a good way to stop it from being absorbed into the bondo-type body filler.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    What do you think about using Rustoleums Rust Reformer over rusty areas that I have grinded and sanded away as much rust as I can get to? I'm talking about the brush on Rust Reformer and not the spray on stuff. Here it is: http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...rust-reformer/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    27,352

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    What do you think about using Rustoleums Rust Reformer over rusty areas that I have grinded and sanded away as much rust as I can get to? I'm talking about the brush on Rust Reformer and not the spray on stuff. Here it is: http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...rust-reformer/
    I've never used Rustoleum products on a car so I can't tell you how well it would work or how well it holds up.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •