TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: prep for new steel truck bumper

Default prep for new steel truck bumper

Replacing my old rotted bumper with a new knock off.

I'm using PPG single stage urethane (MTK). Can I get away with just scuffing the black coating with a grey pad and shoot it?

Pics, because if they aren't there it didn't happen

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Replacing my old rotted bumper with a new knock off.

I'm using PPG single stage urethane (MTK). Can I get away with just scuffing the black coating with a grey pad and shoot it?

Pics, because if they aren't there it didn't happen

Thanks!
    We would clean the new bumper with grease and wax remover then scuff it with some 400/600 grit sandpaper then paint. A gray scuff pad may work but we usually don't scuff exterior surfaces with it because you could get an uneven scratch that could show in the final finish.

Thanks Len! I'll be painting outside, less I spray the less dirt in the paint...

Default backyard autobody....

I REALLY miss my old shop....

MTK covered with second coat. I put three on to use up the paint. Unfortunately on the 3rd coat I ran into my custom bumper positioner... aka jungle jim... and put a nasty run in the end of the bumper. You know its bad when the wife notices it I'll probably be into the bed sides later - I'll remove the run then and base/clear everything. This will get it respectable, and keep me from having to get tetanus shots for a bit!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default back on the truck

A few details to finish, but it's basically done. Was busy bead blasting / painting the brackets and hardware. Plastic is the original, I used a rust dissolver to remove the stains.

Didn't polish the bumper at all yet, it was shiny enough that I had to clay bar and wax the rest of the truck so the bumper wouldn't stand out.

Thanks for the advice Len!

Default Swing idea...

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    I REALLY miss my old shop....

MTK covered with second coat. I put three on to use up the paint. Unfortunately on the 3rd coat I ran into my custom bumper positioner... aka jungle jim... and put a nasty run in the end of the bumper. You know its bad when the wife notices it I'll probably be into the bed sides later - I'll remove the run then and base/clear everything. This will get it respectable, and keep me from having to get tetanus shots for a bit!
    Nice truck and probably has a nice sound with the duals. Love the swing idea. Hell, and I just finally threw a metal on out that I could have altered. You're pretty smart.

Hey listen, did you ever try swinging the part and holding the gun still with the trigger pulled? Looks good.

Henry