TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help experts, Spray technique for car for primer with a color change

Default Help experts, Spray technique for car for primer with a color change

I have my car completely disassembled minus the bumpers after doing body and rust work. I'll be painting this week after doing an additional 400 grit body sand.

I was watching a video about doing a color change on a car, which is what I'm doing. After removing the doors and prepping the inner doors and jams, they masked off the entire car except for the jams and then painted and cleared the jams and the inside of the doors. After reinstalling the doors, they then painted and cleared the outside (including the outside of the doors).

I'm wondering if this is the best way for me to go because they didn't prime the car, they just cut the clear coat, painted and clear coated.

Since I'm also priming and a novice, wouldn't it be better for me to prime the entire car (including the jams) without the doors and hatch, do whatever sanding, paint and clear the car and then do the doors and hatch separately but without doing them a side at a time?

It just seems scary to me to be painting up against something that is in a totally different stage! I might add, I am going metallic (from what I understand, the pattern is a reason to paint the outside in one shot). I'm more concerned with painting the parts in one stage than keeping a perfect pattern, this isn't going to be a showcar.

Can someone jump in? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by graphixv View Post
    I have my car completely disassembled minus the bumpers after doing body and rust work. I'll be painting this week after doing an additional 400 grit body sand.

I was watching a video about doing a color change on a car, which is what I'm doing. After removing the doors and prepping the inner doors and jams, they masked off the entire car except for the jams and then painted and cleared the jams and the inside of the doors. After reinstalling the doors, they then painted and cleared the outside (including the outside of the doors).

I'm wondering if this is the best way for me to go because they didn't prime the car, they just cut the clear coat, painted and clear coated.

Since I'm also priming and a novice, wouldn't it be better for me to prime the entire car (including the jams) without the doors and hatch, do whatever sanding, paint and clear the car and then do the doors and hatch separately but without doing them a side at a time?

It just seems scary to me to be painting up against something that is in a totally different stage! I might add, I am going metallic (from what I understand, the pattern is a reason to paint the outside in one shot). I'm more concerned with painting the parts in one stage than keeping a perfect pattern, this isn't going to be a showcar.

Can someone jump in? Thanks!
    In most cases we do a complete paint job the way you explained, remove the doors and lids, paint the jambs, reinstall the doors and lid then paint the entire exterior. Unless you have stripped the car or jambs to bare metal there is no need for primer just clean the surface with grease and wax remover then sand and paint. You can shoot the jambs with the panels on the car but it usually produces a less perfect job.

If you're painting a metallic you should use a base/clear because it's a lot easier to get a good looking job. Single stage metallic can be difficult to make glossy and maintain an even looking color.

Thanks for your information and confirming the way they were doing it.

I'm priming because I have been removing more paint than just cutting the clear. The former owner had the car repainted. This unknown quality of paint has been peeling, chipping
    and I wanted it mostly removed from the car. I also had body work, Bondo, rust work which took some areas down to bare metal.

I'm just concerned about transitioning these areas in different stages. And Yes, it will be a multi-stage job.

Quote Originally Posted by graphixv View Post
    Thanks for your information and confirming the way they were doing it.

I'm priming because I have been removing more paint than just cutting the clear. The former owner had the car repainted. This unknown quality of paint has been peeling, chipping
    and I wanted it mostly removed from the car. I also had body work, Bondo, rust work which took some areas down to bare metal.

I'm just concerned about transitioning these areas in different stages. And Yes, it will be a multi-stage job.
    After you paint the jambs and install the panels then mask off the jambs so that they stay fresh and without overspray. The best think I've found to mask the edge is 3M's Smooth Transition Tape. With this tape you can mask and not get a ridge that can be hard to remove.

Ah ha, Ok, I will look for that tape.